News From RStar512
Week of February 11th
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
Join Girls on the Run!
- What we do: Inspire girls to recognize their inner strength & celebrate what makes them one of a kind. Trained coaches lead girls through our curricula which includes discussions, activities & running games.
- Girls in 3rd-6th grade develop essential life skills over the course of 10 weeks. The program ends with girls completing a service project & being prepared to complete a 5k event.
- Online registration opens at 8 a.m. on Saturday, February 9 at www.gotrkc.org.
- Our season begins the week of February 25 and concludes on May 10. Mark your calendar for the celebratory Girls on the Run Spring 5K at Children's Mercy Park (home of Sporting KC) on Saturday, May 4.
- NEW! Register early for the opportunity to enroll in our 3-month payment plan! For details about our fall season, visit www.gotrkc.org. Financial assistance available upon request.
MVP Trainings NOW AVAILABLE at Rising Star!
Are you interested in becoming a My Volunteer Pal (MVP) at Rising Star? We are now offering training sessions at Rising Star that are flexible with your schedule! If you would like to schedule a training, please click here: https://goo.gl/forms/Lv7lJ8rLuFQmuONp2
The My Volunteer Pal (MVP) program is the volunteer program for all Shawnee Mission Schools. MVP connects adult volunteers with students ages Pre-kindergarten to age 18. Volunteer Pals choose from a range of in-school activities, including:
* School Field Trips
* Serving as a Lunch or Recess Buddy
* Weekly or Monthly Classroom Volunteer
* Chat ‘n Chew
* After-School Program Volunteer
Volunteers enjoy flexible schedules, and all activities take place on school grounds during school hours, with the exception of field trips.
If you’re unsure if you need MVP training, or if you have further questions, please direct questions to RyanWilson@smsd.org for help!
Are you interested in helping or volunteering in the Rising Star Library and MakerSpace? If so, please fill out the form below, and Mr. Wilson will contact you to set up your visits! We have lots of fantastic volunteer opportunities available!
FOOD SERVICE….Did you know…………
Did you know that physical activity and nutrition work together for better health? Regular physical activity can produce long-term health benefits. People of all ages, shapes, sizes, and abilities can benefit from being physically active. The more physical activity you do, the greater the health benefits. Children and adolescents should do 60 minutes or more of physical activity each day. Most of the 60 minutes should be either moderate- or vigorous intensity aerobic physical activity. For more information, please visit: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity.html or http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/children.html.
Don’t forget – if your child receives free or reduced meals, they are eligible for one breakfast and one lunch per day as part of this benefit. All breakfast and lunch meal choices are available for all students regardless of eligibility status.
The school breakfast menus, lunch menus, and other nutrition information are available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
Next Chat 'n Chew Dates
Chat & Chew Books & Dates
Books can be found in our Rising Star Library, in most teacher’s classrooms, at the Johnson County Library & of course on Amazon or in brick & mortar stores. If you choose to purchase the books for your student, please consider donating them at the end of the year so that we can have more copies available to lend out each year. Donated books can be given to Mr. Wilson in the library. Thank you!
*Chat & Chew Party: Those students who have read & attended at least 3 Chat & Chew book sessions are invited to bring their lunch & their favorite book to share with their peers.
(Chat & Chew is held in the classroom during the student’s lunch period)
Future Chat 'n Chew Dates
2019-2020 Transfer Applications Accepted March 1 to April 30
The Shawnee Mission School District will accept transfer applications beginning at 8 a.m. March 1, 2019, through 5 p.m. April 30, 2019.
Click here for Transfer Procedure information. Links for electronically submitting applications will become available at 8 a.m. on March 1, 2019 on this page.
Please note that the Board of Education adopted the following considerations as part of the district transfer policy on Jan. 14, 2019.
- Siblings of current District Transfer students receive first priority consideration.
- In-District students of employees will receive the second priority consideration.
- In-District Transfers are reviewed first in the order they are received.
- Remaining transfer requests are considered in the order they are received.
Transfer students will not be required to apply for readmittance annually. This includes students who are moving from sixth grade to seventh grade and students moving from eighth grade to their freshman year of high school.
The full transfer policy can be read here.
Dear Shawnee Mission School District Families, Staff, and Community Members,
Your input is an essential part of our work to design the future of the Shawnee Mission School District through an intentional and inclusive strategic planning process.
One of the methods we’re using to gather diverse input involves using a resource called Thoughtexchange. Thoughtexchange is a software platform designed to create challenging and productive conversations with large groups of people about things that matter, and to understand what is valuable to communities.
During a Thoughtexchange, participants respond confidentially to an open-ended question, consider and assign star-ratings to the ideas shared by other participants, and discover what is important to the community. Your voice is critical in this process, and we appreciate your taking the time to provide your input. This Thoughtexchange will be open for participation until 5 p.m. on Friday, February 15, 2019.
Click here to participate: https://my.thoughtexchange.com/#225508314
In Thoughtexchange, your ideas and ratings are confidential. In addition, you may return as often as you'd like to continue your participation. Returning to the Thoughtexchange question will allow you to assign star- ratings to some of the new ideas shared since you first participated. The ratings will help us understand the most important areas to focus on as we develop the strategic plan.
Here are some tips for using Thoughtexchange:
- Join the exchange to share your thoughts. Please provide reasons for your response.
- Please provide complete thoughts and answers. This allows better results than one word answers or short phrases.
- Consider and rate the thoughts of other responses.
Thoughtexchange keeps confidential who shared each thought and rating. When enough participants have shared and rated thoughts, participants will be able to explore and discover the results.
Thank you for your help and input.
For more information on the entire Strategic Planning Process: https://www.smsd.org/about/strategic-plan-2019-overview
West is Best Scholarship Fund
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.