19th Century Reformers
- Apprenticed at a local blacksmith
- Studied mathematics.
- Author of over 37 books and articles.
- Focused on humanitarian causes.
- Strived to improve the health, education, well-being, and rights of the working class.
- Influenced reformers.
- Many of his views are relevant today.
Dr. Sylvester Graham
- Served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives.
- Education reformer.
- Helped create the nation's first board of education. Served as its secretary.
- Crusader for the cause of temperance and prohibition.
- Formed the Maine Temperance Union in 1838.
- Pushed the legislature for the passage of a prohibitory law. He succeeded after he was named mayor of Portland.