March 23, 2015
Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful spring break. Two weeks off was pretty amazing. I hope you feel rested, recharged and ready to complete the school year. Amazing as it may seem, we are in the home stretch, folks! Third quarter is in the books, and we have one more marvelous chapter to write.
As you will see in the celebrations below, we have no shortage of great things going on at FHN. Third quarter was very successful. Our students and staff members achieved great accolades, and I know you share in my pride for them. It is always a great day to be a Knight!
FHN is a fantastic school because there are fantastic people in the hallways, in the classrooms, in the offices, and in almost every square foot of this building. I know that, together, we will craft a wonderful fourth quarter.
Thank you for all that you do to make FHN a great place to grow and learn!
- Congratulations to Brian Santos on being selected as the District Teacher of the Year.
- Zoe Lawson & Luke Guerden qualified in the NSDA District Nationals Tournament in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking!
- Congrats to Anthony Lupo for representing District 6 as our Junior Delegate at ICDC in Orlando.
- Congrats to Ms. Trochim for receiving the District 6 DECA Diamond Award for outstanding adviser.
- Congrats to all of our DECA Members who placed in state. Ten members qualified to compete at internationals in Orlando.
- Varsity Boys' basketball had an unbelievable 3.68 GPA!
- The Mock Trial team found out they received 3rd in regionals; they will be advancing to state. . Team members are (witnesses) Dillon Beelek, Caleb Black, Elise Gertsch, Nicole Morse, Miles Thies, and Emily Wilson, and (attorneys) Marygrace Cole, Luke Guerdan, Lauren Hogan, Zoe Lawson, Tessa Smith, and Caitlind Walker. The team's attorney-coach is St. Charles prosecutor, and father of two FHN alums, Phil Groenweghe.
- 10 members of the varsity girl's basketball team were GAC All-academic. That is phenomenal.
- Congrats to Daniel Bodden who was named the Bruce Schneider Memorial Leadership Scholarship recipient. !
- Congrats to FHN Band. They had 28 students qualify for State. Great job Band!!!!
- Choir had 16 students qualify for state. Great job!!!!
- Aiza Bustos was honored by Partners for Progress for her outstanding achievement in STEM. She is a very impressive student!
Zac Cary, Stone Birkner, and Dan Borrelli performed in Young People's Theater production of Suessical. There will be more performances next week.
5 QUICK FACTS ABOUT A COLLEAGUE
- This is my 7th year at Francis Howell North.
- My husband Kyle and I do not currently have any children, but we do have a Westie named Tinkerbell.
- I love to sing and dance. I tried out for “American Idol” when I was 19 and I tried out for “The Voice” a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I did not make it on either show. I danced competitively for 13 years.
- I enjoy exploring haunted buildings and watching “Ghost Hunters” and “Ghost Adventures.”
- I love owls and the St. Louis Cardinals!
I choose Yvonne Kehoe to go next!
Professional Development Committee:
This is a friendly reminder if you would like to join the Professional Development Planning Committee for next year, please fill out the Google form below. This committee will provide you with a great opportunity to help plan the PD focus for our building next school year. We will begin meeting a few times this school year so that we can plan ahead as well as meeting regularly throughout next school year. There are going to be 4 meetings between now and the end of the year. Next year the time commitment is approximately one day per month after school. I know some people have shared interest but have scheduling conflicts with a couple of meetings and that is okay! I would love for anyone interested to still join the committee!
Our meeting dates for this year are below. We will meet in the Learning Commons from 2:30-4pm.
If you have any questions at all, please contact Stephanie Johnson.
Proposals Needed for Stipended PD Presentations – August 4, 2015
I hope everyone is enjoying Spring Break!!!!!
From 8:00 am to 11:00 am on August 4th, 2015, all five high school sites (FHC, FHN, FHHS, FHU, Heritage) are collaborating to offer “Best Fest,” a professional development event celebrating our teachers' use of best practices. The event will be held on the campus of Francis Howell Central High School. Over the last several years FHSD has invested significant resources in professional development on various research-supported strands. Our goals are twofold. First, our hope is to offer enough sessions on enough topics so that each teacher receives PD to match their specific needs and interests. Second, we want to celebrate our own in-house experts and rock stars. We have fantastic people with a wealth of experience and top-level training. Best Fest is a celebration of both “best practices” and our “best people.”
All sessions on August 4th will be scheduled for 80-90 minutes, with the first 45 minutes earmarked for instruction and the last 35-45 minutes reserved for implementation and practice. We are specifically looking for sessions that provide teachers with skills and strategies that are classroom-ready. Presenters selected for August 4th will be compensated with a $150 stipend to cover prep work.
If you are interested in planning and leading a "Best Fest" session, please use the Google Form linked below to submit your proposal. Proposals will be reviewed by the High School Principals' PLC with the goal of having selections made by the end of April.
Link To Submit Proposals: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dbMd1PuxkbPGZMBopxVmRckHV_pvffT5zHup7INoC7M/viewform
All proposals are due by 3:00 PM on Friday, April 3rd.
If you have any questions please let me know!!
The ACT will be Tuesday, April 28th. All Juniors will take the ACT on the second floor with their homeroom teachers. All other students will have classes as usual. Teachers who are normally on the second floor will travel to open classrooms throughout the building. After much discussion with various staff (PLOT and DCs), it was determined that this would provide the best testing environment for our students. We will be communicating the room schedule to you and more specific details to parents and students immediately after spring break.
EOC testing will take place 4/13-4/28. We will only be on a block schedule from 4/13-4/16 and 4/20-4/23 and will eat three lunches instead of 4 like in the past. All other dates will have the regular bell schedule. The complete bell schedule with the lunch schedule for all teachers is currently in your mailbox.
App of the Week
LastPass is a free app that can be used to store all of your usernames and passwords. It will store all your data and you can review at any time. Click on link below for more details:
Lunch and Learns
There will be a Lunch and Learn on 3/27. The topic is Schoology and Ashton Sewing adn Kristen DiCarlo are presenting.
- The following link provides tech updates:
- The following link explains the difference between onedrive and a team site (Sharepoint) and when it is appropriate to save data to each of them:
- changed all of the classroom filters
- finished installing all of the ballasts in the learning commons
- helped Tami, the new district painter who will be in our building for a while, prep and paint some walls
- Installed a new faucet in room 10/12