March 7, 2019
Notes from Niki
I have switched to the Spring theme in the newsletter with the hopes that it will bring spring weather with it (but we can skip the April showers). A few notes and notices:
- We have had 3 more students purchase "Principal of the Day" with Bearcat Bucks. Alyssa Riley will serve on 3/12 and Holly Heldt and Katy Menke are going to share the day on March 21. The kids are working and planning hard for this, and we have certainly learned that recess is a powerful motivator. We will do recesses during Bearcat time for only 1 grade level and only allow those that don't have any late work to go. I know this will interrupt interventions, but let's hope it is enough motivation to work to overcome the lost intervention time.
- Our Building PD Time for Monday will be right after lunch- meet at 12:30 in the library.
- Congratulations! You achieved your first BINGO and are close to a 2nd. Friday March 8 there will be breakfast treats in the old ISS room.
- Schedule for the day is below- please share with students
- Cheryl has shared information with each group about the community leaders reading with your class/group. Once they have read, discussed why reading is important in their life and/or career, answered questions... please send them to the FACS room. PLC Committee members will be meeting with them to get input on our vision.
5th Grade (in music room)- Anna Azevedo
6th Grade (in gym)- Chris Theissen
Engemann & Weir- Raylene Hollrah
Dann, Englert & Ash- Mike Pratte
Hosick- Mark Wallace
Brethorst- Lois Kruse
Schwenck- Larry Miskel
Landolt & McKague- Molly Monahan
I have put student schedules for the lunchtime activities in your mailbox to be distributed 1st hour. Please stress with students the importance of putting that somewhere that they won't lose it. They will have to keep track of it for a few hours. Before your 4th-hour class leaves for the gym, please have them check for their schedule. If they don't know where it is, the list is here. "Sheet 1" has the master list with everyone (you can search for a specific name by hitting Ctrl F) and there are sheets with rosters for each activity as well. Please use that for attendance if you are running an activity and report missing students to any supervisors in the hallway. Students who have a loved one for lunch should not be on rosters, but I did not cross-check that. If they are with a loved one, they can eat in the gym, cafeteria, or Health Room and then go to the book fair or an activity room. Give students who do not have a loved here time to eat prior to starting your activity. The list of what adults are doing is here.
I will try to remind students to bring a personal reading book to 7th-hour with them prior to dismissing from 6th-hour, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to double check with them as they come into your 7th-hour class.
I'm sure it will be a great day. Special thanks to the Parent Involvement Committee and the PLC Leadership Committee for helping to organize this!
Schedule for Read-In Day
1st Period: 8-8:54 (full period to allow for advisory and speakers)
2nd Period: 8:58- 9:34
3rd Period: 9:38-10:14
4th Period: 10:18-10:56
11:00-12:30 -- Assembly (Will include SOM) / Lunch / Workshops
5th Period: 12:35- 1:16
6th Period: 1:20- 2:01
Go to 7th Period Class for School-Wide Silent Sustained Reading- 2:05- 2:35
7th Period: 2:35-3:15
Professional Reading/ Resources:
March 8-15- Scholastic Book Fair
March 11- PD Day
March 12- Alyssa Riley is Principal for the Day
March 12- 7/8 Grade Volleyball @ St. James, 5:30 p.m.
March 13- Wonderful Wednesday & CMMA Day
March 13- Band Concert, 7:00 p.m.
March 14- 7/8 Grade Volleyball vs. Bland (@HHS), 5:30 p.m.
March 14- School Board Meeting, 6:00
March 15- Quarter 3 Grades Due, 3:30
March 18- 7/8 Grade Volleyball vs. Washington, 5:30 p.m.
March 19- 7/8 Grade Volleyball @ Sullivan, 5:30 p.m.
March 20- MSHP School Bus Inspection- park accordingly
March 20- PBIS Leadership Team Meeting, 3:15 in the Conference Room
March 21- World Down Syndrome Day
March 21- 9-12 Track Meet, volunteers welcome
March 21- 7/8 Grade Volleyball vs. New Haven, 5:30 p.m.
March 26- PBIS SET Evaluation, 9:30 a.m.
March 27- HMS Student Council Meeting, 3:15- 5:00
March 29- Student of the Month Assembly, 2:30 p.m
April 2- 7/8 Track @Union, 4:00
April 3- Paraprofessional Appreciation Day
April 3- 7/8 PLC, 7:15 a.m.
April 5- 7/8 Track @Hermann, 4:00
April 8- 7/8 Track @Pacific, 4:00
April 10- 5/6 Rehearsal for Kid Flix Concert
April 11- 7/8 Track @Owensville, 4:00
April 11- Board of Education Meeting, 6:00