SQ4R Study Strategy
Literacy Strategy #42 (page 129)
Instructional Focus & Grade Level
- Comprehension & Content Areas
- 6th-8th Grade
How It Works
- Survey- Preview the reading assignment. Skim through introduction and summary.
- Question- Turn each heading into a question before reading that section.
- Read- Read the section.
- Recite- Immediately recited from memory the answer to the question they formulated and other important information.
- Relate- Think of ways to link new ideas that what they already know.
- Review- Take a few minutes to review. Try to recall from memory the questions and answers they developed while reading.
- Causes students to do more than just read.
- Must slow down and move through the steps.
- Helps students remember big ideas presented in the reading.