MI Educational Research Association
COVID-19 & the Education Impact-A Two Day Virtual Conference
Fall 2021 Michigan Educational Research Association (MERA) Virtual Conference
This Fall MERA conference marks the second consecutive virtual conference in the history of our fall conferences. COVID-19 has altered the platform we use to hold our conferences. It has also changed the teaching and learning environment for adults, students, parents and modified how we educationally support each other. Since COVID-19 has had a significant impact on education, the MERA Board decided to place it front and center during this fall conference. Over a two-day period, COVID-19 related topics will include the following: how to select essential data from assessments, school innovation, our learnings from a variety of data collected during the pandemic, acceleration, assessment/accountability and notable significant updates. Processing time will be provided throughout so you can develop a deeper understanding of the information presented. The MERA Board encourages you to register. They believe you won't be disappointed!
Conference Dates and Time: November 22-23, 2021 from 9:00 A.M. - 2:15 P.M.
DAY 1 (11/22/21)
- "Test validation for a crisis: Five practical heuristics for the best and worst of times" - Andrew Ho, Harvard Graduate School of Education, Charles William Eliot Professor of Education
- "MI Blueprint - A Path Forward for School Innovation and Redesign" - Anupam Chugh, Wayne RESA, Manager of Instructional Technology and John VanWagoner, Traverse City Area Public Schools, Superintendent
- "What we can and can't learn from Michigan student achievement data collected during the pandemic." - Katharine Strunk, MSU, Professor of Education Policy and Faculty Director of EPIC
- "New and Upcoming Reports on MI School Data" - Cheryl Twichell, CEPI, Senior Analyst
DAY 2 (11/23/21)
- "Acceleration not Remediation: An effective response to COVID learning loss" - David Steiner, John Hopkins University, Professor of Education and Executive Director of Johns Hopkins Institute for Education Policy
- "Learning during COVID-19: National findings from the NWEA Map Growth assessments" - Megan Kuhfeld, NWEA, Senior Research Scientist
- "Academic Achievement at the End of the 2020-2021 School Year "Insights after More Than a Year of Disruptive Teaching and Learning" - Robert Theaker, Curriculum Associates, Associate Director of Research
- "Reboot 2021: How successful was this years restart in the world of assessment and accountability? (So far)" - Andy Middlestead, Director, Office of Educational Assessment & Accountability
- "Michigan Accountability: 2021 Letter Grade Results, and Other Updates" - Christopher Janzer, Assistant Director, MDE Office of Accountability
* $75 - Two Day Early Bird Registration Fee (Thru November 14, 2021)
* $95 - Two Day Registration Fee (November 15 - Nov. 21, 2021)
* $30 - Two Day Retired or Student Registration
Once registered, a conference Zoom link and additional information (i.e. presenter materials, agenda, etc.) will be made available to registrants several days before the start of the conference.
If you are unable to register online, please send your payment to:
Michigan Educational Research Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 164
Thompsonville, MI 49683
Questions about registration by mail? Contact Jim Gullen at email@example.com.
MERA Board Members
Joseph Musial, Wayne RESA---Vice-President
John Thero, South Lake Schools---Secretary
Jim Gullen, Macomb ISD---Treasurer
Harvey Czerwinski, Macomb ISD
Jonathan Flukes, Oakland Schools
Neelam Kher, College of Education, MSU
Paul Robinson, Consultant
Jacqueline Gardner, Office of K-12 Outreach, MSU
David Treder, Genesee ISD