Family Newsletter-February 2019
We have just wrapped up the first half of the school year! It's hard to believe that the second semester starts on Monday. We have a lot of fun activities and events coming our way, as well as our continued focus on providing daily, engaging instruction for our students. As I visit classrooms I have noticed so many wonderful things going on, such as comparing and contrasting different versions of a story, expanding our mathematical thinking with strategies like Which One Doesn't Belong, learning scientific inquiry, and the use of Google Classroom for writing projects, just to name a few. As we look at the forecast for next week, please review the information below regarding inclement weather info. It's best to be prepared, just in case.
Mrs. Gina McLain
Important Upcoming Dates
- Mon., Feb. 4th--Booster Club Mtg., 7:00 PM in the library
- Tues., Feb. 5th--Booster Dining Night Out @ Rock Creek Corner, 5:00-9:00 PM. More info here
- Thurs., Feb. 7th--College Wear Day!
- Mon., Feb 18th--NO SCHOOL, Presidents' Day
- Fri., Feb. 22nd---BINGO Night! 5:30-8:00 PM in the gym. Click on the fliers to learn more English Spanish
- Fri., March 1st--Read Across America Day! More info below.
- Thurs., March 7th--Family STEAM/Science Night, 5:30-7:30 PM
Read Across America Day--Friday, March 1st
- Students and staff are encouraged to dress up as their favorite book character
- Students from Liberty High School will be coming to read to some of our classes
- Special student readers in our lobby living room, set up especially for this day
- A school wide "Drop Everything and Read!" two times during the school day
- Intermediate classes reading to primary classes
- Guest readers coming to classes to read
Morning Drop Off Reminders
Please see above picture and reminders below for a smooth and safe morning drop off situation.
- Yellow line (far left in picture)= Bus Lane Only
- Green line (far right in picture)= Through Traffic Only
- Red lines (middle lane)= Drop Off Only. Please pull as far forward as possible in this lane. Do not leave major gaps in between cars. Once your children have exited the car, turn on your blinker and merge safely into the green through lane (far right lane in picture). Do not park, even temporarily in this lane. If you want to walk your children in, please park in the lot or on the street to do that. Your children need to use the crosswalk that is located in front of the buses. Your children may use the other crosswalk that is behind the buses, but only if buses are not parked over it at that time.
- Do not drop your child off before the striped safety zone.
- Drop off should be as quick as possible. Please make sure your child has their backpack, coat, and all belongings ready for a quick exit out of the car.
- Please make sure that you drive slowly and cautiously in both lanes, and be patient with other drivers. We all have the same goal of getting students to school safely and on time. Safety first!
- Please review the complete list of Drop off Procedures here
Help your child succeed at school. Please visit this link to learn information regarding your child's success in school and how attendance plays a major role in that.
Please remember to call in to the attendance line when your child will be absent. You need to call each day they are gone and give a reason for absence. The attendance line is 503-844-1363. Please click on the following links for information to know if your child is too sick for school, English, Spanish
HSD Inclement Weather Info
Booster Club Information
For more information about Booster Events, please click on the links below: