Because Science Matters: May 2016
Completing the Circuit
Welcome to the monthly LISD Science Curriculum Newsletter! We hope to use this newsletter to provide you with science updates and information on a regular basis. Please let us know what your needs are and how we can continue to improve our communication!
Science In the News
United States Air Force Maglev Rocket
On March 4, 2016 at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, the world land speed record for magnetic levitation rail was broken. The maglev rocket reached the speed of 633 mph. Read here and watch the video to learn more.
- For what reason would you need to travel at such speeds?
- How is this maglev different from the maglev train in the fifth grade science module?
Do Earthquakes Trigger Volcanoes?
Things to Remember
Important Critter Reminders
- Please return critters in a cooler to the SMC via intercampus mail.
- If a cooler is needed, fill out the return form on the curriculum site.
- The critters should be returned Monday-Thursday only. Please return all critters by May 19th.
- Assessment window for Fourth and Fifth Grade opens May 16th. (The 5th grade window only applies to campuses who have chosen to take the 5th Grade science module assessment.)
- All third, fourth, and fifth grade Science Module Assessments are due in AWARE May by 26th.
- Modules will be picked up the week of May 24th.
- Please take a moment to look around classrooms, science labs and science areas for materials that need to be returned to the Science Materials Center. Items can be returned through intercampus mail to the SMC.
- Return open bags of soil to nature.
Campus Science Materials
- Weather Station
- Sun Tracker
- Triple Beam Balances
- Desktop Microscopes
Here are the Science Summer PD opportunities available to teachers:
- KINDERGARTEN: Living On Earth, July 21st 8:00-4:00
- FIRST GRADE: It's A'MAZE'ing, June 20th 8:00-11:30
- SECOND GRADE: Aquatic Habitats and Plants with Butterflies On Demand, June 20th 12:30-4:00
- THIRD GRADE: Earth's Interactions, July 20th 8:00-4:00
- FOURTH GRADE: Properties Matter, June 21st 8:00-4:00
- FIFTH GRADE: Mixing It Up! Plus NEW Engineering PBL June 22nd 8:00-4:00
- Uncovering Student Understanding Through Science Probes, June 15th, 16th, July 18th, 19th 8:00-4:00
Be sure to register in Eduphoria as soon as possible! Course cancelations due to low enrollment begin May 18th.
Making Real World Connections
The fourth grade students at Camacho created Public Service Announcements (PSA) connected to their Ecology science module. Students were asked to persuade the public to save a specific endangered species. Click here to see a sample. For more information, contact Instructional Coach, Christa Alvarado or her fourth grade team.
Elementary Science Department