Standing Bear News
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear Families,
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! We appreciate all your support during the Boosterthon Fun Run! Mrs. O'Melia will be working on the roof on October 20th as a prize to students for meeting our Fun Run goal! Good job CUBS!
As the weather is getting cooler outside, please send your child with warm clothing for recess. It might be really helpful if you print your child's name on the tag inside of their coats! Have a hat and gloves in your child's backpack at all times. Below are the guidelines for outdoor recess. Also, be cautious of your student drop off time in the morning. Students do not enter the building until 8:35am. Staff are not on duty until that time.
A few reminders as for families:
- Lost and found- If you notice your student is missing items, please remind them to look in the lost and found. Parents will be able to look during conferences.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences and Report Cards- If you have not signed up for a conference time, please use the link below to do so.
- Book Fair- This will be held during conferences. See information below.
- Lunch at School- We welcome parents to have lunch with your student. However, if you plan to eat the school lunch, you will need to have EXACT change. Below is a list of what lunch items cost, so you can plan ahead.
- Birthday Treats and Invites- Please do NOT just send birthday treats to school. We have many students with food allergies. Parents must FIRST contact your child's teacher to see if anyone has allergies and what might be an option for birthdays. Non food items are preferred. You will need to look at the PTO directory if you want address information for invites. We ask that those are NOT handed out at school, unless everyone is invited. Thank you for your understanding.
- Scholastic picture retake day- This will be determined once Scholastic reaches back out to us. Once that is determined, we will let families know.
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
Halloween Celebration Information
Fall/Halloween: October 31st will be our Halloween parade/classroom parties.
- If you have signed up to be a room parent through the PTO you can discuss with your child's teacher arrival time to support the classroom party.
- Classroom Party will be from 2:00pm-3:00pm
- We will start the parade at 3:15pm. Parents, please line up along the main front drive if you plan to watch. You may check your student out following the parade.
- Please send your child's costume in a bag (do NOT wear it to school). Students will change before the parade. Please save face paint and hair color for Halloween night! Students should NOT bring toy weapons of any sort to school with their costume.
- It is helpful if your child wears clothes that their costume can easily go over. We will not have time for face paint or accessories.
- If your child does NOT celebrate this holiday, let the teacher know. We will have other activities for those who don't participate.
We always take into consideration the "Feels Like" temperature
The "feels like" temperature is a measurement of how hot or cold it really feels like outside. The “Feels Like” temperature relies on environmental data including the ambient air temperature, relative humidity, and wind speed to determine how weather conditions feel to bare skin.
Meet Spyro...he is our Bearded Dragon who lives in the Standing Bear Library
School Meals Program
Please note these updates regarding the school lunch/breakfast program:
- Nutrition Services provides a second chance breakfast bag for students who don't arrive in time to attend the regular breakfast meal. The bag contains everything a student will need to focus on learning. Visit your cafeteria manager for details.
For the 2023-24 school year, the Nebraska Department of Education has determined the following meal prices:
- Students: Due to CEP, no cost to students enrolled in Omaha Public Schools and attending a school that provides breakfast and/or lunch
- Adults and Visitors:
- Breakfast: $2.75 per meal
- Lunch: $4.60 per meal
- Ala-carte prices are available at each school
- The cost of an additional milk or a milk to add to your home lunch is $0.50 per carton.
Message from the School Nurse
Help Standing Bear students and staff stay healthy by keeping students home if they are sick and abiding by the following guidelines.
A fever is a temperature of 100.4 or higher. If you child has a fever they can return to school after they are fever free- without the use of fever reducing medications (ibprofen or acetaminofen, often found in cold medicine as well) for 24 hours. This ensures they are feeling well and remain fever free and not contagious.
If your child has vomited within the past 24 hours keep them home. They can return when they are free from vomiting for at least 2 solid meals.
Julie Frazier, RN, BSN
If you need to contact the nurse, you can email her at email@example.com with any documents or questions.
- Contact the main office if your child will not be in attendance or late
- If you will be picking your child up early for any reason
- If the dismissal procedure for your child has changed (another person picking up, no bus, etc.)
- Please provide a doctor note for any appointments so we can mark the absence as medical and excused
Phone: (531) 299-2140
Fax: (531) 299-2159
Nurse Fax: (531) 299-2158
Standing Bear PTO Information
Website and App
We have a new website and app. We hope you like it! Make sure to check it out and get your student added to the directory! Directions on the image.
We would love for you to join the PTO too ($10), but that is not required to add your student. The directory is only available to those that are connected to the school and sign-up, it is not public.
Important Information from Standing Bear
For the safety and security of our students and this building, anyone entering the building must stop in the office first.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5.
We currently have a school staff member assisting your child to breakfast or the classroom at the main doorway for all student’s morning arrival. REMINDER: School doors don’t open until 8:35 AM for classroom entrance and breakfast opening hours.
We ask again not arrive for end of school day pick-up until 3:55pm to prevent traffic flow congestion issues .
Please be attentive and cognizant of all school crossing guard officials and adhere to their requests during student morning drop-off and pick-up times. Our goal is to ensure your child’s overall safety.
School Blackboard Communication
We will be using Blackboard for mass communications to families. All newsletters, updates and reminders will be sent via email or text. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
We ask that only non-food items be brought for birthday celebrations. Please check with your child's teacher to discuss day and time for treats to be dropped off.
- Drop off is 8:35AM, that is when breakfast is open and staff are on duty
- Please have student(s) ready to get out when you pull up
- Pull all the way down if able
- If you need to get out to assist your child, go into the parking lot lane not the main drive
- If your student is NOT eating breakfast they need to enter through the main front doors rather than the cafeteria doors
- Grab and Go Breakfast- if your student is eating breakfast, they need to enter the building through the cafeteria doors. They may enter through the main front doors if they choose not to eat the district provided breakfast.
Dismissal and pickup
When parents pull onto school grounds, outside staff will input your family number to indicate that you have arrived. Classroom teachers will get your student(s) ready to dismiss. How this works- We will enter your Family Number into a form, this will be visible to classroom teachers in the building and they will dismiss. Students will be dismissing out the main front doors staggered based on your arrival time. Students will NOT be dismissing out any other doors.
It will be extremely helpful if you let your student(s) know your preferred lane for pick-up. This will help them know to look for you in the main drive or the parking lot lane. Once your student(s) are loaded, you can pull out of the pick-up line to leave.
What you will need at dismissal:
- You will need to place your car hanger number on your rearview mirror so it is clearly visible to outside staff.
- You will need to pull all the way down to the front door (as cars move ahead, you move ahead) if you are picking up on the main drive, pull all the way down to the front main entrance or up to the vehicle in front of you. If you are picking up in the parking lot lane, you will still need to pull all the way forward. ALL students will exit out the main front doors.
- We will call your student(s) out as you arrive, continue to pull forward whenever possible until all your students are loaded.
** Kindergarten students- dismissal will remain the same for parents who walk up to get kindergarten students. If you are choosing to drive through for pick up, parents will still pull up like all other vehicles with their family number visible.
** Early Childhood will remain the same. Parents will need to park and come check out their child.
** Walk up parents- A staff member will be located out front, you can provide them with your family number so teachers are aware you are ready to pickup. You student(s) will then be dismissed. Parents do not need to enter the building. If you need to go into the building to pick up your student, you MUST stop at the office for a visitor badge and to sign the check out sheet.
** Each family will receive 2 car hangers. If you would need additional ones, please contact the office. It is imperative not to lose your issued designated car hanger numbers. Please clearly display upon arrive so there is no confusion to expeditiously release your child for pick-up.
WE WILL BEGIN DISMISSAL (ENTERING NUMBERS) AT 4:00PM. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE AT SCHOOL BEFORE 3:55PM TO PREVENT AN INITIAL BACKUP. The line moves very fast once we begin the dismissal process.
Thank you for everything!
Early Pickup for Students
If you are picking up your students early for a doctor appointment, etc please call the office ahead of time and we will have you child ready to go at the designated time. Parents will need to come into the office to check out your student(s).
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).
Safety remains our top priority in the Omaha Public Schools. We now have a Visitor Management System to ensure we are provided the most secure environment. Visitors will need to ring the outside doorbell. Once the secretary answers, she will verify your student's name and visitor's name prior to opening the front door. If the visitor's name is not in our system, they will not be let into the building. We ask that you understand that it may take a few minutes to gain access into the building while the secretaries verify your information. Please make sure you have updated contact information and that your emergency contacts are current.
Visitors will need to use the kiosk to get a visitor badge. This will require you to get a photo taken and use the printed visitor badge with your photo.
Large events such as holiday celebrations, music programs and family nights will not require the same check in process. Entrance into these events will be monitored by staff.