A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
Week of September 12, 2022
Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time each Monday to review our newsletter.
A Message from Jill & Tim
Dear Scotland Families and Staff,
We are all looking forward to seeing you tomorrow evening for Open House, beginning at 5:30pm. We are eager to meet with you and share curriculum topics, special projects, expectations, and common goals for our students. This is an evening where our teachers will be sharing classroom and curriculum specific information. We are excited to share information specific to your child in November during conferences. Our Open House evening is designed for teacher-parent communication and is designed for the parents/guardians of our students only.
Please find a schedule for the evening below. All classroom teachers will be giving two presentations for your convenience. We can’t wait to see you tomorrow!
New Information about School Dismissal Manager:
We will be utilizing SDM’s Late Arrival feature so that you can let the school know when your child will be arriving late. Select the day on the calendar that your child will be arriving late, then select Add Late Arrival, fill out the reason, and click Submit.
When reporting a late arrival for the current day, the cutoff time is 8:45am.
Please note that this is strictly an informational tool, and your child must still check in with the Security Guard upon arrival at Scotland.
Take care and have a great week!
Jill & Tim
To ensure the safety of all, if you are scheduled to come into the building for a meeting, classroom event, library helper, or any other visit, you will need to fill out this form before arriving at school.
Hello and welcome to a New Year in the SES Library! We are excited to once again have volunteers during Library Classes. The SES library is looking for volunteers to help with library book check out, reshelving returned books and hands-on activities. If you have time in your busy day to volunteer, the SES library would appreciate your help!
No long-term commitment necessary and it is not hard to do. If you have some time during the day and would like to be a part of the fun, here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click the link below to see our Sign-Ups by grade on SignUp.com
Fourth Grade: https://signup.com/go/mcPzzKd
Fifth Grade: https://signup.com/go/XzBEjrg
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you would like. Please be considerate of other families and choose a few spots to begin with. Once everyone has had a chance to sign up, you can go back and volunteer for any open spots. If you do not see your class listed, it means it already has a volunteer.
3.) Fill out the Visitor Form to let us know the time and day you are coming to Volunteer.
The link is: https://bit.ly/3qbV1is
Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp. Use the links here or find them on the SES PTA WEBSITE
Please contact Amy Tomasco at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
It's not scary to help out in the LIBRARY!
PICTURE DAY IS TUESDAY, 9/13!!!
HOW TO ORDER:
Ordering will take place online only. If you absolutely need an order form, please request one from your teacher.
No need to print out or send in order confirmation. No paperwork necessary.
1. Go to www.coffeepond.com and select "Order School Portraits"
2. Using the drop-down menu, select the city and state, then the name of our school.
3. Follow the prompts to enter your information and select packages.
4. Pictures should be ordered BEFORE Picture Day!
5. Ordering questions ??? Email email@example.com or call (508) 907-6633 ext. 0
Events & Happenings 📆
Monday, September 12th:
- D Day
Tuesday, September 13th:
- E Day
- Picture Day!
- Open House - Please note that this is a parent only event, 5:30-7:00pm
Wednesday, September 14th:
- F Day
Thursday, September 15th:
- A Day
- Early Dismissal for all students 11:40am - professional learning for staff
Friday, September 16th:
- B Day
- Scotty Spirit Day! Wear your Scotty spiritwear to show your school pride!
Monday, September 26th:
- Rosh Hashanah - No School!
Snaps around Scotland 📸
A Note from Our PTA
The Scotty Sprint is Back!
The Scotty Sprint is Scotland's signature event celebrating everything about being a Scotty. Fun, community, and building a more enriching school environment! First, we stretch, then we dance, and then we launch into a sprint for 30-minutes. With fun leading the day, students may walk, sprint, or run around the school field after school on Wednesday, September 28th. Students are issued 5k style bibs with GPS trackers to officially count the laps of fun they have with their fellow schoolmates. There are grades K-2 loop, grades 3-5 loop, and a sensor-sensitive loop to allow all of Scotty Dogs to be included and participate in the funniest event of the year.
You may learn more and register for this event visit Scotty Spring Registration; REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE!
The fundraising has begun at Scotty Sprint 2022 Fundraising. This is one of our three high-impact fundraisers with a goal of $12,000. Net proceeds of this event help bring children's authors into the school, bring in-school enrichment to all students, supplement STEM activities, and strengthen arts and culture supplemental education.
We award prizes for most laps by grade, most laps in the school (including your student's name on the plaque in the school), and award top fundraisers.
IT'S TRULY AN EVENT YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS, PARENTS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!
Information to keep handy...
⚽️ 🎼 Essentials 🎨 📚
- Each class will have one 45 minute essential per day (art, library, music, or PE)
- We will continue to follow the six day A-F day schedule
- Please find the essentials rotation below
Arrival & Dismissal 🚗
We will follow a similar drop off / pick up procedure that we did last year.
- Drop off begins at 8:30am. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:30am as there will be no supervision at this time.
- Pick up will begin at 3:25pm.
- Each day, please have your child(ren)’s first and last name displayed on your passenger visor, and have it remain visible until your child is in the car. This needs to be bold and large enough to be visible at a distance. This is a very important step to ensure we have your child ready when you arrive.
- For the safety of both students and staff, proceed carefully and slowly through the lot.
- Please have your child exit/enter the vehicle when your gear is in the park position and is one of the cars at the front of the line designated for drop off.
- Students must exit the vehicle on the passenger side (building side) of the vehicle. Multiple children must exit on the passenger side. It is dangerous to exit/enter on the driver's side of the vehicle!
- Students need to have all of their items ready in hand and will then exit the car immediately.
- Parents, please stay in your vehicle at all times so that the process will prevent backups on Barlow Mountain Road.
- If you miss the drop off time (after 8:45 a.m.), please park in the front lot and walk your child across the designated crosswalk to the main entrance of the building. If you arrive after the drop off window and must park in the parking lot, we ask that you kindly use the crosswalk.
School Lunch 🥪
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) advised that federal funds have been allocated for the Free School Meals for Children grant.
- Funding will support free lunches for all students in grades K-8 until funds are depleted.
- Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. These items can be prepaid online at School Payment Portal Powered By LunchTime Software and at the school kitchen. Please read the letter here.
School Lunch will be available from the first day of school.
The school lunch menu is available online on the RPS website; click District Offices and click on Food Service, as well as below.
There will be no change in the payment system; all school lunch balances will roll over.
Questions in regard to Lunch Time POS can be directed to Eric Nickelson, RPS Food Service Director at 203-894-5550 x1127 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please find the lunch menu below.
School Dismissal Manager
We will continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!