The Museum of the Enlightenment
Bach was a baroque artist. He was a devout Lutheran and his religious views often influenced his works and his music is often very emotional.Birth date/place:
Born in Eisenach, Germany on March 21, 1685
Jesus, Joy of Man’s Dancing
Toccata and Fugue
Handel is best known for his compositions known as oratorios. He also composed many operas.
Born in Halle, Germany on February 23, 1685
The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:
Mozart excelled in any form of musical composition. He was musically gifted and wrote more than 600 pieces of music before he died at the age of 36.
Mozart was born in Salzburg, Austria on January 27, 1756
Symphony No. 41
Eine kleine Nachtmusik
- Requiem (Mass for the Dead)
- Baroque Art was full of color and excitement
- Included Sculptures, Paintings, Architecture
- Usually very large and precise
- Famous Baroque Artists included Peter Paul Rubens, Annibale Carracci, and Diego Velasquez
- A few examples of famous baroque artworks include The Battle of the Amazons, The Conversion of Saint Paul, Death of the Virgin, and The Night Watch
- Rococo art was more relaxed and elegant than Baroque
- Famous rococo artists include Francois Boucher, Jean Honore Fragonard, and Antoine Watteau.
- Famous Rococo paintings include The Embarkation for Cythera, The Lock, and The Blue Boy
St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
The Battle of the Amazons by Peter Paul Rubens
The Island of Cythera by Antoine Watteau
Majority of Europe were peasants
Lived in rural areas- 90% of Europe lived on Farms
Most peasants were free, no longer tied to land by the enlightenment
Peasants lived very simple lives
Governed by weather and cycle of seasons
Had few possessions
- Ate bread, beans, peas, and other vegetables, rarely meat and dairy
- Played games such as chess, checkers, and stickball
- However had little time to play
Berg, Darrell Matthews. "Bach, Johann Sebastian." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
Berg, Darrell Matthews. "Handel, George Frideric." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
Politoske, Daniel T. "Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
Zafran, Eric M. "Rococo." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
Zafran, Eric M. "Baroque." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2016. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
"Social and Economic Life in Early Modern Europe: Peasantry, Nobility & Early Modern Economies - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com." Study.com. Study.com, n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.