Deerfield Winter Newsletter
SCHOOL PICTURE RETAKES JANUARY 11 & 12TH
- Monday, January 11th- A Day Students
- Tuesday, January 12th- B Day Students
Please let your child and teacher know if you will be having retakes!
Picture Retake Schedule for Deerfield Distance Learners:
- Monday, January 11th- 12:30- 2:30 Students whose last name begin with A-L
- Tuesday, January 12th- 12:30-2:30 Students whose last name begin with M-Z
Students will be directed to enter the cafeteria door located in back of the building. Enter the back parking lot. We will have signs posted showing you where to go. We understand this window of time may be during live instructional time. Let your teacher know why you will be absent. We get you in and out as soon as possible. If you do not want to have your child's photo taken, but still want them in the yearbook, please send a headshot of your child (using a neutral background) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Covid Reporting Over the Winter Break
During Winter Recess while our schools are closed, please use this online form to report COVID cases affecting students and/or staff members, as well as quarantine information. Contact your primary health care provider or LDCPH's Coronavirus hotline, 785-856-4343, with any questions about COVID symptoms and/or testing. When staff return, they will be in touch with you about your report.
The district remains committed to transparency in informing school families about reports of COVID cases on our campuses. In order to streamline this communication, beginning in January, you will receive a weekly email on Fridays about any cases reported during the week to your child's school. The district encourages school families to use our online resources, including a districtwide listing of reported cases and the data dashboard, for further information. Find both at www.usd497.org/Coronavirus.
Please continue to mask up, wash hands, stay at a safe distance from others, and stay home when ill to prevent the spread of COVID in our community.
Enjoy a safe and happy holiday season!
REMINDER: Procedures for Students Exhibiting Signs of Illiness
Dear Deerfield Families,
It is wonderful to have our students back in the building. Thank you for preparing your child(ren) for our new procedures and the importance of wearing a mask, washing hands, and taking care of each other. It is very evident that our Deerfield Family wants to work together to keep everyone safe.
Nursing Procedures in the Era of COVID:
Please review the procedures we have in place should a student exhibit signs of illness or report feeling unwell at school. Our school nurse consults regularly with the Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health (LDCPH) department and follows specific criteria when evaluating symptoms. Please keep your emergency contact numbers updated through PowerSchool by notifying the school office of any changes so that we can reach you for an emergency or if your child is not feeling well at school.
IF a student reports not feeling well or exhibits signs of illness while at school:
o The student will be sent to the triage area outside of the office for an initial assessment by our medical staff.
o As you know, students may visit the school clinic for a variety of reasons. We will not share information with the school community whenever a student visits the clinic or goes home from school feeling sick. However, please rest assured that if we have a concern that directly involves your child, you will be notified.
o If a student is exhibiting ONE major or 2 minor symptoms of COVID-19 they will be sent to our isolation room and a parent or guardian will be required to pick the student up to take home.
o Our school has a designated isolation room once a student is evaluated as having symptoms of COVID-19. This room prevents other students from potential exposure. Students who are admitted to the isolation room will be required to isolate at home for 10 days UNLESS a physician or health care provider can provide in writing that the student's symptoms are not related to COVID-19.
- ONE MAJOR SYMPTOM can include: new cough, loss of taste or smell, OR shortness of breath
- TWO MINOR SYMPTOMS can include: chills, fever of 100.0 or higher, headache, sore throat, runny nose, congestion, body aches, fatigue, diarrhea, or vomiting.
A student who reports not feeling well at school that does not meet the criteria for major or minor symptoms of COVID-19:
- will be evaluated in the school health clinic and our school medical staff will determine possible treatment options including whether the child needs to go home OR can return to class.
A student is feeling ill at home:
- If a student's family reports that the student will not be at school due to illness, the school may ask if the student is exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19. Staff will share this information with the school nurse for follow up with communicable disease management procedures.
- Please notify the school if your student has COVID-19 symptoms, is diagnosed with COVID 19, is waiting for test results, or has been exposed to someone with symptoms or a confirmed or suspected case. Communication between home and school is key!
In the event of a positive case of COVID-19:
o The Deerfield COVID-19 response team will work with the family and LDCPH to identify anyone considered in close contact or at risk of exposure. Close contacts will be notified directly by the school or public health officials and will be provided instructions to quarantine in order to prevent the spread of the disease.
- When we receive reports of COVID-19 cases, we will inform all staff and school families and local health officials of the case, while maintaining confidentiality.
Please email our school nurse at email@example.com if you have questions about how clinic staff will work with students who report an illness.
Reminder: Traffic Plan
Sign Up to Get Text Reminders
When prompted, enter your name and your child's name in parentheses. Please know that you number is not shared with anyone else. You can unsubscribe anytime by texted @leave.
Can My Child Go To School Today?
Reminder: Remote Learning Attendance
At this time attendance will still be taken twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon:
- If your child is present online for remote learning anytime between 8:00-11:30, they will be counted present for the morning.
- If your child is present online for remote learning anytime between 11:31-3:05, they will be counted present for the afternoon.
If your child will be absent from remote learning:
- Parents must notify the office for the absence to be counted as "excused".
- If parents do not notify the office the absence will be recorded as unexcused.
- Teachers are required to contact parent by phone or webex for any full day unexcused absence. Unexcused absences will be changed if parents are reached by phone or webex and have a valid reason for the absence.
- Truancy will be enforced during all learning models (Hybrid/Remote, Distance). Truancy is filed when a student has 3 consecutive unexcused absences or 5 cumulative unexcused absences in a semester.)
School Supply List Here!
Deerfield Website Calendar
Revised School Calendar
Click here to see the recently revised school calendar.
Breakfast & Lunch Menu
Breakfast & Lunch Menu Here!
Like Deerfield Facebook Page
Like our Deerfield Facebook page www.facebook.com/deerfield497
Like Deerfield PTO Facebook Page
Like our Deerfield PTO Facebook page: