Head U Gator News
October 14, 2016
PTA program Monday
Paralympian Brings Inspirational Message to Glenhope Elementary Students
Lloyd Bachrach was born to inspire others. Despite suffering a congenital bone deficiency that left his legs unusually small, Lloyd has gone on to achieve more than most able-bodied people. In high school he became a champion gymnast. In 1996 he competed on the USA Paralympic sit volleyball squad. He is an avid downhill mono-skier and a certified SCUBA diver.
Lloyd was able to pass along his motivation and abilities to others. He served as a gymnastics coach for the Chicago Park District, instructing all levels from beginners to advanced, including Special Olympic athletes.
Outside of athletics, Lloyd has succeeded in the business world. He spent over a decade working on the trading floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, where he reached the position of a currency speculator.
Over the years, Lloyd discovered that people responded well to his encouragements. In 1995, he created Yes, You Can! Inc., an organization devoted to inspire and motivate others to reach their ultimate potential.
Glenhope Elementary PTA is pleased to present Lloyd Bachrach to share his life story and how he made his dreams happen. His "Yes, You Can!" program will be presented to Glenhope Elementary students on October 17, 2016, in two sessions; the first is from 8:00 to 8:50 a.m., and the second is from 9:00 to 9:50 a.m.
Running Club for students
AFTER SCHOOL RUNNING CLUB
Glenhope PTA is proud to offer an after-school running club with the purpose of promoting FUN, FITNESS and FELLOWSHIP within our school community!
● Meetings will take place on FRIDAYS after school from 3-3:45 pm.
● All grades are welcome! Younger siblings (with accompanying parents), family members and Glenhope Staff are welcome too! PreK-1st Grade kids must have an adult present while they run.
● No running experience is required. We will be prepared to support all running experience and fitness levels.
● A $20 contribution includes a Running Club T-shirt, along with participation in the rewards and recognition program and club events. Bring to Mr. Maupin by 10/14 (scholarships possible).
● Meeting dates are: October 21, 28; November 4, 11, 18; February 17, 24; March 3, 10, 24, 31; April 7, 21, 28; May 5.
● In order for us to have this club, we need parent volunteers (no running required)
● Questions? Contact Nalú Penny - email@example.com
Complete the form located on Mr. Maupin’s school web page or scan
below and bring a $20 check payable to Glenhope PTA to Mr. Maupin.
Pokemon and other cards
If your student has been bringing them, please make sure they begin leaving them at home.
No U Turns!
The Bluebonnet Reading Program is under way for 3rd - 5th Graders. Check the "Student" tab on the library webpage for information about the Bluebonnet Program. Any 3rd-5th Grade student who reads 5 or more of the new books will be invited to the Bluebonnet Voting in January 2017.
We have several visiting authors coming to GHE in November! Polly Holyoke will be presenting to our 3rd - 5th graders and Aaron Reynolds will be presenting to our K-2nd graders. Pre-order forms for their books came home this week and will be due back mid-October. Books that were pre-ordered will be autographed by our visiting authors.
Shop for your treats, costumes, and decorations at smile.amazon.com and Amazon will donate to Glenhope Elementary. Use the following code in order to have your purchases benefit Glenhope:
#StartWithaSmile at smile.amazon.com/ch/75-2597359 to stock up for Halloween and Amazon donates to Glenhope Elementary.
Monday, October 17
Math Lab 2:55-3:45
Tuesday, October 18
La Academia Spanish classes 2:55
Wednesday, October 19
4/5 grade Choir 2:55
Thursday, October 20
Good News 2:55
Friday, October 21
La Academia Spanish 2:55
Bricks 4 Kids 2:55
Bowman Sports 2:55