Trail Blazer News
Conducted by our new Communication Crew: Addie Katherine and Phoebe
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite animal?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite season?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite game?
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite song?
Jude: Five Nights at Freddy's.
Addie Katherine: What is your favorite movie?
Jude: Indiana Jones.
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
10/26-10/27: No School
10/30/15: Fall Carnival
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing on nonfiction text features as we explore books about weather and maps. We are also focusing on our RAPS strategy (Restate, Answer, Prove it, and Summarize) as we practice written comprehension.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
Writing: We will continue our fiction writing unit this week. Students will use the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, and publishing). We are focusing primarily on organization, adding details, and excellent word choice.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will begin Unit 5 on Monday. We are focusing on multi-syllabic words, suffixes, closed syllable exceptions, closed syllables, glued sounds, vowel teams, and r-controlled sounds. Our test will be on Friday.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3.D Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3.A Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will continue our Time Unit on Monday. We are focusing on telling time to the nearest five minutes, and using a.m. and p.m.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.MD.C.7 Tell and write time from analog and digital clocks to the nearest five minutes, using a.m. and p.m.
Science: We will continue our study of weather through creating weather journals, exploring live weather through Google Earth, and creating interactive science journal entries.
- 2.E.1 Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
Social Studies: Students will design their own map of our classroom which includes symbols, legends, and cardinal directions.
● 2.G.1.1 Interpret maps of the school and community that contain symbols, legends and cardinal directions.