Spooktacular Tech Tools
This cool trick only works on phones/iPads that are AR-enabled.
On your phone:
- Open Safari.
- Type in Google.com.
- Type bear in the search box Scroll down until you see Meet a Life-sized Bear in 3D.
- Open it up Click on AR at the top.
- Tap on the bear.
The Statue of Liberty AR
1. Download and print in color the Alphabet Flashcard from arflashcards.com
3. Open the AR flashcards App and press Get Started.
4. Hover your device over a flashcard. Make sure your sound is turned on. Touch the image when it appears and you will hear the name of the animal and the letter it begins with.
The Quiver website has both educational and non-educational coloring pages to download. color and use with the Quiver Vision app. Educational coloring pages include the following:
- Design a Flag
- Plant Cell
- Animal Cell
- The Dot
Platonic Solids ($)
Character Scrapbook by Scholastic
Character Scrapbook by Scholastic can be used to analyze the characters of a book. Students can print and collect their scrapbook pages. To add more technology to the activity, have students take a screenshot of their pages and create a Google Slide Show or PowerPoint. This site could also be used to analyze characters from History.
Sarah Kiefer created a Google Slide Show template and posted it in her blog (tinyurl.com/characterslide).
Educandy is a free website that allows you to create 8 different types of interactive games by entering your own word lists, words and definitions or questions and answers.
There are different games that are available for each of the types of information that you input.
· Word Search
· Naughts and Crosses (Tic-Tac-Toe)
· Multiple Choice
· Multiple Choice
Open educandy.com and enter the code from the presenter.
Knowt is a free site creates a multiple choice/fill in the blank quiz from your notes.
- Open app.getknowt.com and create a free account.
- Click on the green import symbol (looks like a download symbol) and let it access your Google account. You can also take notes inside of the website if you don’t use Google Docs.
- Select the file you want to use.
- Click the orange Quiz button to create a multiple choice/short answer quiz from your notes.
Nicer Tube gets rid of comments, ads and other clutter from YouTube videos, and it also allows you to customize your video’s background.
- Copy the URL (web address) of the YouTube video.
- Open nicertube.com.
- Paste the URL into the blank.
- Scroll down and select a background color or image (optional).
- Select Click Here to Create Your NicerTube. You can make you
The new link contains the YouTube video without ads.
View Pure (follow the directions under Use It Anywhere)
The Novel Effect app uses invisible technology to follow along, as you read a book. Music and sounds play while you are reading. Smart voice recognition stays in sync with your reading style, if you skip ahead or read a favorite part again and again.
Click here for a link to the books and a short preview of each on Novel Effect.
Novel Effect just released Spanish books!
Quizizz has a new feature that allows the question and answer choices to be read aloud using the Quizizz app. Only available for IOS devices. The questions appear on the students' devices.
Let's try it out!
- On your device, open quizizz.com.
- Click Join a Game.
- Enter the Game Code the teacher provides and click Go.
- Type in your name and click Join Game.
- Wait for the teacher to begin the game.
The Latest from Quizizz!
- Read Aloud on browsers: Earlier we had read aloud only on the apps. Now it also works on browsers (on desktop/laptops as well as mobile device browsers). This can be found in the Settings menu on the https://quizizz.com/join page. You can access it by clicking the cog icon while playing a game, or just go to the student settings page: https://quizizz.com/join/settings.
- Flashcard mode: This is a new mode that has been added for students. You can find it on the "Activity" page for students. Just go to https://quizizz.com/join (while being logged in) and click on the "Activity" link at the top of the page. (This page shows all the past activity of a student.) Click any quiz that you've completed, and you'll see 2 buttons "Play" and "Review" (Review is the flashcard mode). Just click it to see the new mode. They are planning to change that button to say "Flashcards" (or something similar).
WriteReader increases students' digital writing skills and creativity. Students can use tablets, Chromebooks or computers. Teachers quickly set up their classes and give students the code. Best of all books can be emailed to parents.
The Quick Start Guide under the Help menu will help you create your account and get your students creating books! Six Ways That Teachers are Using WriteReader blog post can be found at tinyurl.com/writereader.
· ChatterPix Kids- Upload an image, draw a line over the mouth and record your voice
· Doodle Buddy – Includes tons of free drawing tools and stickers
· Draw and Tell - Draw and tell your own story
· Green Screen by Doink - $2.99 Create green screen videos (don’t need on every iPad)
· Khan Academy Kids - designed for ages 2-5
· Novel Effect - uses invisible technology to follow along, as you read a book and includes music and sounds while you are reading the book.
· Popplet Lite - Brainstorming app that lets you capture and organize your ideas
· Shadow Puppet EDU - Create presentations/slideshows from photos, videos, sound clips and voiceovers
· Sock Puppets - Create your own puppet shows
· Toontastic - Draw, animate, narrate and record your own cartoons
· Word Clouds - Create word clouds (similar to Wordle)
· 4D Anatomy - Use in science classes when studying the human body