Volume 3, Issue 12 - October 4, 2020
A Message from Dr. Lowry
Happy Sunday Timberwolves!!! In this week's Timberwolf Times you will find information about picture day, joining student council, and much more. In addition, you will find a few highlights of our outstanding students and staff. We have an exciting week ahead.
WoodCreek Junior High
This Week in Timberwolf Nation
Monday, October 5
- Spirit Wear Day - Show your support for WCJH!
- Character Strong Lessons in Advisory for All Students (F2F and KVA)
- 7th Grade Football vs. Tays JH at Tompkins HS
Tuesday, October 6
- National Coaches Day! Thanks to all of our amazing coaches!!
- 8th Grade Football vs. Tays JH at Tompkins HS
Wednesday, October 7
- Spirit Theme Day - Patriotic Day!
Thursday, October 8
- 7th Grade Volleyball vs. Tays JH at TJH
- 8th Grade Volleyball at Tays JH at WCJH
Friday, October 9
- College Spirit Day - Wear your favorite college gear!
WoodCreek Junior High 2019-2020 Award Winners
Our 2019-20 awardees pictured above, from left to right, are:
- Cayden Espinoza, 6th grade
- Andrew George, 7th grade
- Zoe Guess, 6th grade
- Caroline Hooks, 7th grade
Not pictured, as they are now all Freshmen at Katy High School, are our 8th grade award winners:
- Grace Shipman, 8th Grade Outstanding Citizenship
- Matthew Vasco, 8th Grade Outstanding Citizenship
- Alisa Bollich, Leader of the Pack
- Cooper Mason, Leader of the Pack
Congratulations to these outstanding Timberwolves!
It’s time to get involved! Apply for Student Council today! Whether you have been in Student Council in the past, or you are interested in being a part of it for the first time, click on the link to see what we are all about, and fill out an application. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Mrs. Bergman at email@example.com
Coach Lauran DeForke - 2019-20 Teacher of the Year!
Pictures will still be done during your student's PE class (or during their advisory class if they do not have on-campus PE). KVA students will be given the opportunity to come after school to have their picture taken - stay tuned for details and the opportunity to sign up for a time slot.
Click here to order your pictures, and follow these directions:
- On the top left of the webpage, click on "October 2020"
- Scroll down to WoodCreek Junior High and select it
- Enter your e-mail address, and begin your order
Click here to learn more about Photo Texas' COVID-19 protocols
If you need to pay with cash, check, or money order, or have additional questions, please call or e-mail Photo Texas Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-883-6463.
Campus Phase 1 Safety Protocols Extended
KISD announced that in preparation for the next secondary six-week grading period, the Phase 1 Safety Protocols will continue to be in effect. Additional modifications to the Phase 1 Safety Protocols can be found here.
Note About Bus Transportation & Rules
Students may only ride the bus they are assigned to at this time. Due to COVID 19 protocols, students will not be allowed to bring a note to school to ride the bus home with a friend. Parents may call transportation services for further inquiries on this matter.
Bus Rules for 2020-2021
- Mask/Face covering should be worn on the bus and the bus stop, until further notice.
- Observe the same conduct as in the classroom including cell phone use.
- Enter the bus and immediately go to the assigned seat.
- Talk in a normal tone of voice.
- Remain seated and facing forward in the assigned seat until time to exit the bus.
- Keep head, hands, feet, and other objects to oneself; do not tamper with bus equipment.
- Use acceptable language; obscene, profane, unacceptable language and/or gestures are prohibited.
- Refrain from eating and/or drinking on the bus; keep the bus clean.
- Refrain from throwing objects within the bus or out of the windows.
- Follow all rules outlined in the District’s Discipline Management Plan and Student Code of Conduct, as well as safety rules established by the driver.
- Arrive at your bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled stop-time and wait a safe distance from where the bus stops. 5 giant steps away from the stop is a good rule.
- When the bus arrives, do not approach it until the bus has come to a complete stop. Form a single line and board the bus. Go directly to a seat and sit in a safe position. If seats are equipped with seatbelts, they must be worn at all times as required by law.
- When it is time to get off of the bus, wait until it comes to complete stop before getting up from your seat.
In-Person and KVA Instruction Opt-In/Opt-Out
Secondary Students who opted for a change to their instructional delivery model (either KVA or Face to Face) for the second six weeks will begin in that setting on Monday, September 28. If no change was selected, students will continue in the same setting as they were enrolled for the first six weeks. Campuses have worked extremely hard to balance in-person and virtual classes as well as implement all campus phase 1 safety protocols.
Secondary – 2nd Six Weeks submission window to change your child’s current instructional delivery option is CLOSED. The window to change your child's instructional delivery setting for the 3rd Six Weeks will begin on Monday, October 12th – Friday, October 23rd. The link will be available on the WoodCreek Junior High School home page.
If your child has lost their ID, they can purchase a new one by scanning this QR code and completing the form.
General Attendance:An absence occurs anytime a student does not attend their regularly scheduled class, whether in KVA or in-person instruction. All students must provide either written documentation (note/email) or a phone call from a parent/guardian for all absences. Please refer to the Katy ISD Secondary Student Handbook for detailed information for reporting an absence and guidelines for making up assignments.
Checking Out a Student During the School Day:
Please note that the last time to check out your student from school each day is 3:40pm. After that time, we will have begun our end-of-day and dismissal procedures and will be unable to check out a student. Thank you for your understanding.
Report Cards Available in HAC 9/30/20
WoodCreek Junior High Spirit Theme Days Are Here!
Each Wednesday during football season, we encourage students to dress according to that week's theme in preparation for next week's games. (All outfits must still be school-appropriate and within dress code guidelines.)
This week - Oh Say Can You See Our Bulldog Rivalry - Wear Patriotic Attire!
WCJH is playing the Beck Bulldogs next week!
7th Grade - Tuesday, 10/13 - 5:15pm - at Legacy Stadium
8th Grade - Wednesday, 10/14 - 5:15pm - at Legacy Stadium
ILLNESS CHART: Can My Child Go To School Today?
Please click here for our library procedures to check out library books.
Please keep in mind, these procedures may change depending on the needs of the school or due to a change in guidance from Katy ISD.
Library 10K Page Reading Challenge!
From the WCJH Counseling Team
Would you like to learn more about the WoodCreek Junior High counseling team? Are you interested in hearing more about the services our counseling department has to offer? Would you like to discover some helpful parenting resources? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should visit the WCJH Counselor Website by clicking this link or on the picture below: https://woodcreekcounselor.weebly.com/
October Katy ISD Legacy Parent Academy
The October topic for the Parent Academy is "Anxiety and Reintegrating into School." The session will be held on Wednesday, October 7th via zoom. Please click here for more information and to register.
COVID-19 Self-Reporting APP - Notifications & Information
The District has a COVID-19 Reporting System in place to allow staff, students and parents to self-report if they have received a COVID-19 positive test result. The self-reporting system enables the District’s Emergency Management team to conduct contact tracing, as well as call and notify individuals in Katy ISD buildings who may have been directly exposed to the infected person. A general email notification is also sent to campus staff and families whenever the district is informed of a potential “indirect” COVID-19 exposure in their building. Receipt of the general notification alone indicates that the recipient was not in close contact to the COVID-19 positive case reported for their building.
Many school personnel and other staff are teaching and working on Katy ISD campuses and facilities. Should there be a potential COVID-19 exposure on any campus or facility, a general notification is sent to staff at the work site impacted, by 5:00 p.m. on the day in which the self-report was submitted. Staff who may have been directly exposed because of failed COVID-19 safety protocol will be notified directly by a member of the Risk Management Department.
Parents will only begin to receive applicable campus-based general notifications when students return to schools for the in-person instructional option. Parents of students who may be involved in fine arts or athletic activities on campuses right now, may receive a general notification through Rank One (athletics) or Charms (fine arts), ahead of the September 8 reopening, if the District is informed of a potential exposure at their campus.
Students and staff may report positive COVID-19 results using the COVID-19 Self Reporting app on MyKaty Cloud.
Contact Email and Questions
Be sure to visit the Katy ISD Smart Restart page often, as the district updates it frequently with the latest information about KVA, In-Person school, Athletics, Fine Arts, Safety Protocols, links to newsletters and more.
Katy Virtual Academy Questions
Special Education Questions
Mission Statement: WoodCreek Junior High, in partnership with the community, parents, and students, will provide a safe, positive, engaging learning environment that is devoted to empowering each student to become a productive, responsible, respectful citizen while achieving academic excellence.
WCJH Administrative Team
Dr. Andrew Lowry Principal
Tim Chesser Assistant Principal - Student Support
Lauren Merriman Assistant Principal - 6th grade and 8th grade M-Z
Stephanie McDonald Assistant Principal - 7th grade and 8th grade A-L
Jodi Slaughter Counselor - 8th Grade
Brittany Waddell Counselor - 7th Grade
Jessie Clay Counselor - 6th Grade