PTO Meeting Minutes
December 14, 2020
NES PTO General Board Meeting MINUTES
7:30 pm Via Zoom (~10 people in attendance)
1. Principal and Teacher Updates
- Big thank you for all the teacher appreciation things done in November.
- Conference time went well based on feedback from both teachers and parents.
- Coming up, student council planned the spirit week for the last 5 days before the break. It begins on Thursday.
- We are continuing with the hybrid model until Jan. 11th. On that date we will begin 4 days a week for those who signed up for 5-day instruction and Wednesdays will continue to be virtual. The move to the full 5-day instruction will be sometime in February, but that date has yet to be determined.
- The teachers want to reiterate what Mr. Francis already said. It was so wonderful to have lunch provided on the Friday, then all the chalk messages and then smoothies on the following week. Thank you!
- It was a small token the PTO could do to thank all the teachers for the work they're putting in this year. We know most teachers are working 12 hours or more a day. We cannot thank the teachers enough.
- 2nd grade teachers want to thank the PTO for providing RAZ Kids. The kids love it!
2. Treasurer Report
(Specific dollar amounts have been omitted. As always, we discuss the financials in detail at our monthly General PTO Meeting.)
During the month of November the PTO received sales of KidStuff books and also received quarterly proceeds from AmazonSmile. The PTO also received several cash donations from NES families. The PTO also had a successful spirit night at Jules Pizza and is waiting on receipt of the proceeds from this fundraiser.
- Major expenses paid during November included two teacher and staff appreciation events in mid-November, RAZ Kids subscriptions for second grade, prizes for Scarecrow contest winners, and payment for individual watercolor kits for grades 4-6. The watercolor kits were ordered in August and arrived at NES in mid-November. Additional monthly recurring expenses for accounting, Smore newsletter, and teacher water cooler were also paid.
- In July 2020, the Treasurer submitted a renewal application to the PA Dept of Revenue to renew the NES PTO’s Sales Tax exemption status. The PTO Board was notified via email on November 9, 2020 that the application was reviewed and approved by the PA Department of Revenue, effective until March 30, 2025. The PTO has received the renewal certificate.
- The Form 990 tax return for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2020 was submitted to the IRS on November 9, 2020 and accepted by the IRS on November 11, 2020.
- The PNC account was reconciled as of 11/30/20 by the Treasurer (J. Bukowski) and the bank statement and reconciliation were reviewed and approved by the Secretary (C. Gargalovic).
3. Teacher Grants
- All 4 new teacher grant requests were discussed and approved.
- We are happy that more teachers are taking advantage of this program this year.
- The PTO also decided to make RAZ Kids part of the school programming we provide. Many teachers are wanting it as it appears to be a great program that helps kids in the classroom.
4. Boon Supply Fundraiser Update
- The sale ran from Nov. 12th to Dec. 5th. Sales went well.
- The company extended the sale through to Dec. 14th.
- People can still order through the end of the year. Our school will continue to receive 40% of any sales made through Dec. 31st.
- The company will have a new catalog in the spring if we'd like to do it again later in the year.
5. MOD Spirit Night
- We now have more than 30 people committed to attending our fundraiser on Sunday, Dec. 20th, so the fundraiser is a go!
- We now need to push out the coupon code families need to use when ordering so that our school will receive 20% of those sales.
6. Drive-Thru Donuts Update
- This fundraiser went well. We had 3 more orders this year than last.
- We will likely do this fundraiser again in the spring since we will not be having a Donuts with Dad or Muffins with Mom events at the school.
7. Gingerbread House Contest
- We have about 13 entries at this point. Submissions can be made through the end of Dec.
- Most of the entries are for the "Traditional" category. We only have 1 entry for "Most Original" and 1 entry for "Most Delicious-Looking". We need to ask families to consider these other categories when making their gingerbread creations.
8. Virtual Holiday Parties?
- We will have virtual holiday class parties this year. Thank you Mr. Francis for answering all our questions.
- Some HRC's do not have their clearances yet. This will not be an issue since the teachers will be creating a special online link for the party purpose and they will be virtual with the teacher in attendance as well.
- Whatever activity the HRC's come up with will need to use common household materials. These materials should be communicated to the teachers so they can let the parents know in advance. This will give families time to collect the materials prior to the party.
9. Logo Wear
- The first two weeks after the launch of our online store, we had a nice push in orders.
- We have more inventory coming Dec. 17th.
- NES families can now order logo wear at any time all year from the PTO website.
- In the future, we will still have the online store and will sell at PTO events.
- Mr. Francis will check the names of families who have logo wear orders coming in and make sure we can get those items distributed through the school before the winter break. Virtual student's can be dropped off at their homes or picked up from the secretary's home.