The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of March 9, 2020
How will you think like a scientist to understand the world around you?
Lesson Plans Due
Monday, March 9th, 8am
- To the 1st Grade Team: My Chat & Chew block is during your lunch period this week. If you would to dialog about any of our initiatives, share questions or just have a laugh...let me know!
Faculty PLC/Team Meetings
Monday, March 9th, 2:45-4pm
- Copies of report cards should be placed in student folders.
- Parent sign-ins should be given to Joan.
Fox in Socks "Book Shopping"
Wednesday, March 11th, 8:30am
Thursday, March 12th, 8:30am
- We will be having our faculty picture at 8:00 AM. Be there or be square!
Thursday, March 12th, 9am-2pm
Small Conference Room
- Please come prepared with your laptop & student data for today's Collaborative Academic Support Team meetings.
The Principal's POV on...thinking like a scientist!
Each trimester, I pick a book to read that's aligned with the current schoolwide essential question (which just so happens to grace the header of the #BulldogBuzz each week). I love how this practice has diversified my book list & has kept me learning alongside our students! After all, it's easy (and all too common) to talk about being a lifelong learner, but I prefer to walk the walk! Keep reading to see how I've been THINKING LIKE A SCIENTIST while reading The Jazz of Physics by Stephon Alexander!
This fascinating read uses jazz & the work of John Coltrane as an analogy for understanding quantum physics & the origins of the universe! From the Fourier idea & Feynman, to explaining symmetries in the CMB, to the simplicity of combining Maxwell's equations it all connects through the "music of the spheres." Music & science go hand-in-hand and there are many musicians and scientists that have figured that out!
More importantly though, Alexander, focuses on the role that analogical thinking can play in transcending the limits of our understanding and in building bridges to new theories. As a jazz musician myself, this is a thought process I frequently engage in as I focus on another passion of mine: literacy instruction! After all, jazz is nothing more than another language!
Click here if you want to check-out my "social change" pick for the 3rd trimester. Thank you for a fantastic week & don't forget to share how you engage students in analogical thinking via email, social media or during a Chat & Chew!
News & Notes
Bullock PTO Updates: See below for some important dates and news from our AMAZING PTO...and click here to visit their Facebook page to show your support!
- Gertrude Hawk Fundraiser DUE: March 4th
- Lucky VIP Family Dance: March 13 (6:30-8:30)
- A Night with the Easter Bunny: April 7 (6:00-7:30)
- 5-Below Fundraiser (every weekend in March): 5-Below (Turnersville) will donate 10% of every purchase to Bullock!
International Club UPDATES: International Club is cancelled on Friday, March 13th; Mock Trial will take place on Tuesday, 17th at Superior Court.
Parent/Teacher Conferences: Conferences will take place on March 23, 24 & 25. See below for some important reminders. If you have any questions, just let me know!
- Due to the 3-day schedule, conferences for Tier 2 and Tier 3 students are required, conferences with Tier 1 students are optional time permitting.
- For our SPED teachers: conferences for students with April Annual Review dates are optional time permitting.
Bullock's BOOM Board!
Thank you so much to all of the teachers and staff who have been sending and escorting students to and from the speech room for me!!!
- Thanks to everyone who planned the assembly. I was so happy to have the opportunity to pass gas along with my supervisors, peers and student body. I never knew how far my creative talents could stretch. It was a memorable experience.
- Shout out to all the people who put together the amazing assembly yesterday! So much fun!
Community events/reminders are in bold.
- 03/02: Bulldog Buddies Meeting/Read Across America Week
- 03/06: CAST Meetings
- 03/09: Faculty PLC/Team Meetings & ACCESS Testing (3/9-20)
- 03/12: Class Pics (Staff Pic @ 8:00)
- 03/13: PTO "Lucky" VIP Family Dance
- 03/16: Science Field Experience (Pitman Theater)
- 03/17: International Club Mock Trial
- 03/20: CAST Meetings
- 03/23: Parent/Teacher Conferences (3/23, 24, 25)
- 03/26: Gr3 Planetarium Visit (3/26 & 27)
- 03/27: Star Student Luncheon