Open 🌞 Announcements
May 21, 2023
Dear Open High Families,
The Class of 2022 is a most impressive group, and we will celebrate them and their future plans tomorrow at their Decision Day Color Run! The event will begin at 11:00 AM at Holly Street Park. We'll have pizza and soda for lunch. Seniors, please read these instructions and come prepared! Underclassman may join to watch the messy mayhem during their lunch break or with their teacher's permission after lunch.
We celebrated a few of our most outstanding scholars this weekend at the 2023 Student Recognition and Awards Breakfast. Please join me in congratulating them:
- Elizabeth Childress, Valedictorian
- Evelin Medrano, Salutatorian
- Andrew Benedetti, Scholastic Standout
- Felix Hedberg, Maggie L. Walker Service Award
Senior Cameron Allen has also been selected to receive the Cheryl L. Oliver and Raymond D. Patterson Memorial Scholarship. He will be honored at the Scholar Athlete of the Year banquet and awards ceremony on Monday, June 5.
Speaking of awards, the annual OHS Awards Ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 1 at 1:30 PM at the Richmond Public Library. Parents are welcome to attend! Prior to this, at 1:00 PM, seniors will assemble here for a Graduation Rehearsal. Please see Ryan ASAP if you have not picked up your senior items including Yard Sign, T-shirt, Cap & Gown, Announcements/Name Cards, and Yearbook! Also review the following:
- You will not receive graduation tickets until the Senior Check-Out 2023 form is complete (see below) or pick up in the office.
- Letter to Families
- Guidelines for Individualization of Graduation Attire-2023
Thanks to everyone who helped make this year's online Art Auction a huge success! If you are one of our top bidders, please pay your invoice as soon as possible. A table will be set up in front of the school on Monday, May 22nd from 3:30-4:30pm to pick up PAID items. You can respond to the email sent by Karen Kelly to make other arrangements.
MONDAY, May 22
- Class of 2023 Color Run, Holly St Park, 11:00 AM
TUESDAY, May 23
Geometry, Algebra II, Algebra I SOL exams, Rooms 212 & 213 - All students must bring charged Chromebooks/charger.
- Chad's 1 ODD in Rm 211
- Chad's 2 ODD in Rm 210
- Vic's 2 ODD in Rm B2
- Lorah's 2 ODD in Rm 101
WEDNESDAY, May 24
- Makeup SOLs, Room 213
- Torchys Taco Spirit Night, 10 AM- 10 PM. (See flier below)
- TENTATIVE Drivers Ed Test after school
THURSDAY, May 25
- Art History Field Trip to VMFA, 11:30 AM
- Family Meeting, 2:30 PM
- Climate Action Volunteer Opportunity, 3:30 PM Help us clean up Belle Isle and get volunteer hours!
FRIDAY, May 26
- Economics/Personal Finance Field Trip to JA Finance Park, 10:00 AM
- Popsicle Friday! The PTSA will pass out popsicles to students and staff at the end of the day to kick off the long weekend.
MONDAY, May 29
- Memorial Day - School Closed
- May 30, W!SE exam (for E/PF students)
- June 1, Annual Awards Ceremony, RPL, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
- June 2, Seniors' Last Day & End of Year Picnic, Forest Hill Park, 11:30 - 3:30 pm (see permission form below to ride bus)
- June 5, Chromebook/Charger Collection
- June 8, Graduation, Altria Theater, 10 am VIRTUAL SCHOOL for Grades 9 - 11
- June 9, Last Day of School (2 Hour Early Release)
It's another busy week. Let's make it a great one!
Clary Carleton, Principal
See the bulletin board on the first floor hallway to learn more about International Education and Study Abroad Programs and Policy Pathways Summer Academy Online.
RPS has a new site for Student Opportunities. Check it out here: https://www.rvaschools.net/students-families/student-opportunities-hub
Also check out the Counselor Connection, OHS Future Center and Open High School Google Classrooms where opportunities are regularly posted. We want to connect all our students with opportunities of interest, so please ask for our help!
Open High School
Location: 600 South Pine Street, Richmond, VA, USA
Merchandise Store: https://tinyurl.com/nfp5yzay
PTSA: PTA Member Hub