WPS ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q. Can my child switch between learning Options?
- Yes, at the end of any trimester your child can switch from one option to another.
- If a child is in Option A and becomes ill and will need to be out of school for an extended period, we can move that child to Option B until they are well enough to return to school.
- Students in Option C are locked into that option for the trimester
Q. Is there after school care available?
- The YDC (Youth Development Company) is looking into providing this service. If you are interested, please complete the survey that was shared at the bottom of the "News from the Elementary Schools" newsletter.
Q. Will there be a schedule for remote learning?
- Yes, each grade level will have a set schedule for remote learning and common expectations for their students. This will be shared during the "virtual open house".
Q. Will there be an Open House this year? I see it on the calendar.
- Yes, however, the Open House will be a video recorded event that you can watch when it is convenient for you.
- You will receive an email when these are posted (it will be the week before school begins).
Q. RECESS: What is the plan for recess at South and North?
- The playground is being divided into different play areas.
- Each class will be assigned to their play area for recess on a rotating basis.
- One teacher or paraprofessional will be with each class in their play area (they will be leading activities and engaging students in safe play).
- They will have recess for 25-30 minutes per day
- Each classroom has their own playground basket (purchased by the Student Council) with balls, etc.
- PE will be held outside (weather permitting).
- Students may also be taken outside by their classroom teacher for learning opportunities.
Q. DAILY SCHEDULE: What is the daily schedule?
- In addition to general academic time, each classroom schedule will include time for: hand washing, "brain breaks" (physical activity within the classroom), WIN time ("What I Need" time for literacy), specials (music, physical education, and library), snacks, and meals. Classrooms without a bathroom in their classroom will also have scheduled bathroom breaks.
Q. TEMPERATURE CHECKS: Will everyone who enters the building have their temperature taken?
- Yes -- there is a thermal temperature scan that staff and students must walk through (located at three entrances at South and two entrances at North).
- Adults/visitors will only be allowed in buildings for extenuating circumstances (they must also have their temperature scanned and wear a mask).
Q. COMMUNICATION: How will teachers communicate with parents/families?
- Both schools will utilize School Messenger for "all call" announcements.
- South School is using the learning platform Seesaw for students to submit their work remotely, in the classroom, and for parent communication.
- North School will communicate through Google Classroom (their learning platform) and Class DoJo.
Q. MASKS: When will my child be required to wear a mask? What if my child wants to wear a mask all day? How many masks will be provided for my child?
- Elementary school students will be required to wear masks whenever they are in shared spaces (hallways, office, etc.).
- If a child would like to wear a mask all day they may do so!
- There are times a teacher will suggest that a child wear their mask (close reading, etc.).
- Each child will be provided with three gaiter style masks. These are easy to hand wash and hang to dry and parents are asked to send children to school with a freshly washed mask daily.
- Please make sure masks are hand washed (they cannot be washed in a machine).,
Q. DROP OFF / PICK UP: How does this work?
- At both schools, students will be greeted by a staff member and will then they will walk through the temperature scan.
- Students can be dropped off at South School between 7:40 and 8:00 am at the front door (off of Luncinda) or the back door (off of Silver Terrace).
- Students can be dropped off at North School between 7:30 and 7:50 am at the front door (off of Baldwin) or the back door (off of Forest Park).
Q. How will I know what class/teacher my child has?
- Parents will receive an email from their child's teacher welcoming them to their class.
- It will be very important for parents to have their email address updated at all times and to check email frequently.
Q. If there are positive COVID-19 cases will the school be shut down:
- We will rely on the Berrien County Health Department to advise us on any classroom or school shut downs.
Q. Will there be orientation for students for them to learn about all fo the new processes?
- On the first day of school, August 31, teachers will review (and practice) the new safety protocols with students.
Q. When will we receive a supply list?
- The supply list is posted on the "News from the Elementary Schools" website that you received today! (This FAQ is a link from that site.)