Welcome to MY Academy!
MY School. MY Way.
Executive Director's Note~Dawn Zwibel
Welcome to the MY Academy 2020-2021 school year!
As we plan to kick-off a school year like no other we have seen in the past, we are excited to ensure that:
every student has a way to feel connected,
every student is being challenged by new learning opportunities,
and every student knows they have a champion to guide and support them; their Teacher of Record.
Spring of 2020 connected us in new ways and required our champions to teach and guide from afar. I appreciate the expertise our teachers bring to MY Academy, the ways in which our students continue to work hard to grow, and the resiliency of our families during this unprecedented time in history. Even under circumstances we have never experienced, we continue to thrive and grow as a caring, supportive learning community.
As we embark on this new year of learning under Covid-19 restrictions, we will continue to offer highly personalized support virtually. Your Teacher of Record is here to support you with your learning needs! We are so grateful to be entrusted with the education of our students!
Keep an eye on your email for incoming messages from MY Academy, our student information system, and the Admissions department. We communicate through newsletters, email, and by connecting in-person through virtual formats. Your Teacher of Record is your best resource for all of your needs. We look forward to keeping you updated and getting to know each and every student.
Our Core Values
Diversity ~ Inclusivity ~ Academic Excellence ~ Hope ~ Service ~ Feedback ~ Gratitude
Our Core Values drive everything we do at MY Academy. Each month, we will focus on one or two Core Values to highlight.
Diversity and Inclusivity ~ All Are Welcome
Everyone has a seat at our school. You belong here. We want to learn from as many diverse backgrounds as possible. Come learn alongside us, and be a part of our school family.
ASSESSMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Subject Matter Assessments
- At MY Academy, we believe that each student will succeed by creating a personalized learning path. We use subject matter assessments as part of developing the individual learning path for each student.
- Students will take these assessments during the first few days of school.
- Contact your teacher for specific directions on how to access your assessments.
- Students also will complete a career interest profile to gather information about their personal strengths and work interests.
- Based on their strengths and work interests, the inventory will identify career paths that fit them.
- Knowing a student's career interests will allow MY Academy teachers to select courses, target curriculum, and share resources that support each student's exploration of careers and the creation of post-high school educational and career plans.
- Contact your teacher for specific directions on how to access your interest profile.
Starting strong can be a great way to set yourself up for success. Here are a few tips for starting the year off strong.
- Communicate with your Teacher of Record regularly.
- Schedule when you will complete schoolwork each day.
- Learn actively. Take notes and complete activities and assessments.
- Advocate for yourself. Contact your teacher as often as you need help.
- Set goals and celebrate reaching them.
- You are expected to complete schoolwork each day that school is in session.
- Talk with your teacher about creating a schedule that works for you.
- At MY Academy, students have choices in their education. You can choose the courses you take and set your own pace.
- Students can set their pace to finish one class per Learning Period (LP) or a more traditional pace of working through 5-6 classes per semester.
- Both options will keep students on pace to graduate.
- Talk to your Teacher of Record about what would work best for you, as a student. They can help you create a pacing schedule to fit your individual needs.
School Culture and Support
Bill Dobson, the Assistant Director of MY Academy, sets the tone that student engagement is the backbone of our school culture. He has devoted his career to supporting families and students of all ages as they identify, pursue, and achieve their dreams. During this time, he has maintained an unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion. His relationships within sports and academic communities are extensive, having spent 35 years recruiting, retaining, coaching, and mentoring student-athletes.
Meetings Virtual For Now
- Due to the State of California's orders, weekly meetings with teachers will continue to be virtual until further notice.
- You can meet virtually, speak on the phone, or check-in through text or email with your teacher.
- Teachers are here to support your learning needs. Reach out to your Teacher of Record today to schedule a virtual meeting.