BEETHOVEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
WEEK 7 BULLETIN (October 17-21, 2016)
"To provide a safe, nurturing environment where students are encouraged to achieve their personal best through collective efforts from teachers, staff, parents and the community. Data motivated instruction will compliment our high expectations for all students to become confident, capable and compassionate citizens."
Week 6 Instructional Feedback
Praise (What’s working):
- Components of balanced literacy evident in many classrooms
- Small group rotation and routine usage evident in a few classrooms
- Instructional and behavioral structure in place for upper grade math classroom. Good classroom management.
- Objectives and daily agenda not posted or visible in most classrooms
- Classroom libraries lack evidence of organization or student usage in most classrooms
- Loss of instruction in classrooms covered by substitute teachers due to poor classroom management for some primary grade classrooms
- Work with teacher to restructure the 1st grade classroom to better serve small group/cohorts
- Student work is not posted in many classrooms (re-organization of many classrooms occurred on 10.3.16)
- Low level of rigor for assigned tasks in 5th grade classroom
- Writing spelling words 5-10xs each
- Alphabetizing words
- Writing consonants and vowels in different colors
Polish (Things to think about/suggestions):
- How is the work differentiated to address individual needs, including enrichment, for the upper grade math class?
- Are teachers required to submit lesson plans prior to Monday morning to assist with possible absences?
- Are there emergency lesson plans available for substitute teachers to follow?
Each teacher received a list of Beethoven Non-Negotiables that I expect to be implemented immediately. Also, you received some general feedback and directives about Stage 3 of the UbD Unit Plan. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to consult your ILT Lead or Administration.
Unit Plan Submission/Implementation
Overall, we are making great progress... There is still some fine tuning that needs to happen; especially with Stage 3. Please refer to the email that was sent out on Wednesday by Mrs. Payton for further details.
NOTE: Unit #2 is due for all teachers on October 30th in your Google Drive.
Daily Student Attendance
Our students who had Perfect Attendance for the month of September 2016 will be going to the UniverSoul Circus towards the end of this month!!! Let's keep up the great work!
Instructional Deadlines and Dates to Remember
REACH Performance Task are due on October 28, 2016. The winners of our first to submit are Dr. Lane, Mrs. Bortnick, and Ms. Wood. Congrats!!!! Please see me on Friday, Oct. 17th for your prize!!!!
We will be our Feature for October?
Questions or Comments?
Dr. Marcus Alexander
Beethoven Elementary School
25 W. 47th Street
Chicago, IL 60609