May - 2020
Virtual Student Support Groups
Starting Thursday 5/7, there will be weekly groups (11AM English & 12PM Español) for students wanting to connect with support staff and peers. Students will be supported in:
- ability to ask questions about COVID-19
- learn strategies to cope with stress and change
- discover additional resources
- being a part of a supportive online community with some familiar Madison faces
To join the group, students under age 18 must have parent/guardian permission either via parent/guardian signature on the consent form in English or Español or via parent/guardian email to one of the group facilitators listed below.
Students 18 or older may contact facilitators to join the group.
After permission is received, students will be added to the Google Classroom.
Cuong Hoang, School Psychologist
Paige Pepperwood, School Psychologist
Malaina Guzman, School Counselor
Brandon Rawls, School Counselor
Susan Milholland, School Nurse
Galen Cohen, School Based Mental Health Therapist
Carmen Carreras, School-Based Mental Health Therapist
May 1 Decision Day
Please reach out to your school counselor if support is needed in navigating this college process.
Senior Jostens Pick-Up
May 13th & 14th - 1 pm - 4 pmCaps, gowns & other Jostens items ordered can be picked up at Madison @ Marshall Campus. We will be practicing social distancing. You can drive up or walk up to pick up your items.
Please note that there may be a little bit of a wait since most of the senior class will be coming.
There will be an opportunity to have an individual (no group pics) photo by Mr. Harpster -- this can be taken with or without your cap & gown.
Staff will be at Madison to be sure that there is a safe distance between all students.
Minds Matter Info Session
Join Info Session May 5 @ 1:00pm on Google Meet.
Minds Matter carefully selects exceptional students from low-income backgrounds. Students then spend 3 years working with volunteer mentors, writing coaches, SAT tutors & college advisors to navigate the path to college.
- Apply as a 9th grade student
- Maintain strong overall GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Qualify for free/reduced lunch
- Committed to pursuing college education
Questions? Email Matt Galbraith.
EAGLE Caddie Program Application
- Must have good attendance in school
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA 3.5+
- Must come from a financially disadvantaged family
- Ability to work as a golf caddie at a Portland course up to 20 hrs/week in the summer & intermittently during the school year
- Must enter the program with the expectation of completing all 3 years
Application deadline extended to May 15.
Virtual Career Exploration
"Future You 2 Go" is a fun opportunity to connect high school students with industry and postsecondary partners who are interested in influencing our youth by sharing information about their career and unique educational pathway to get there. These events are sponsored by Portland Public School and will occur every Friday.
- PCC’s Veterinary Technology Program - 9:00am - 9:45am, 5/1/20
- City of Portland Enivronemenalt Services - 10:00am - 10:45am, 5/1/20
- BDC Corporate Travel Consultant – 1:00pm - 1:45pm, 5/1/20
Additional Career Learning Online
Check out upcoming student webinars from ChickTech. Topics include:
- May 1 – Mentorship with Mollie Freel from Nike
- May 5 – Product Design Sustainability with Courtney Wright from Nike
- May 15 – How Extra Curriculars Can Lead to Career Success with Nike’s Sophia Liu
- May 19 – Video Game Design with Phaser with Joel Tatark