Woodcrest Spanish Immersion
April 28, 2021 Newsletter
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Del Escritorio del Sr. Franke
Show your Panther Pride!!!
Greetings Woodcrest families,
I have several brief updates for you from Woodcrest today:
- Fire Drill: Today, we had a successful fire drill. We are required to do a specific number of drills each year to make sure everyone has a chance to practice safety protocols. As you would expect, students and staff partnered very well together to make the experience feel safe, fun, and educational.
- Mileage Club: In partnership with the Woodcrest PTO, we will be putting on the Mileage Club this spring. Over the next few days, lookout for more information about this exciting event.
- Amity Institute Interns: With COVID-19 international travel restrictions being relaxed, we are re-kindling our partnership with the Amity Institute for the 2021-2022 school year. If you are interested in hosting an Amity Institute Intern please reach out to Yesica. We will share additional information about this opportunity with families who are interested throughout the spring.
- Spirit Day this Friday: Despite the challenges of this year, there is much for us to be proud of. Students, staff, and families have demonstrated such flexibility, understanding, and partnership. We’ll celebrate our school spirit this Friday, April 30. Students, staff and families are encouraged to wear SLP gear or school colors.
As you can imagine, each day we continue to focus on all aspects of health and safety. Thank you for your partnership at home to help make sure our schools are safe learning environments for all.
I hope you all have a great week,
Fourth Grade Families: Intro to 5th Grade Band
Starting in fifth grade, students can choose to take band lessons. Join us for a virtual informational meeting on Tuesday, May 4 at 6:30 p.m. to learn more about your student's option to join band in middle school. The meeting will also be recorded and placed on the band website for those unable to attend the meeting.
- Meeting Link: https://meet-springlakeparkschools.webex.com/meet-springlakeparkschools/j.php?MTID=mb7ebf7d0330aa8fa092bf3056996f5ad
- Meeting Code: joinband
Watch this 1-minute introduction video and learn more about band, choosing an instrument and how to register on this Westwood Band webpage. If your student would like to play band in 5th grade, please register by Friday, May 14.
Last chance - purchase your "Spamalot" tickets today
This weekend, April 30-May 2, is your last chance to see the live theater event "Spamalot," presented by the talented SLPHS theater cast and crew. Lovingly ripped off from the classic film comedy Monty Python and the Holy Grail, MONTY PYTHON’S SPAMALOT retells the legend of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. Featuring cows, killer rabbits, and French people. The outrageous, uproarious, and gloriously entertaining story of King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake will delight audiences as they search for the Holy Grail and “always look on the bright side of life.” This is a performance you don't want to miss! Purchase your tickets today.
Testing for students in grades 3 and 4
May 11 (Tuesday) from 9:30-11a.m. - MCA Reading part one
May 13 (Thursday) from 9:30-11 a.m. - MCA Reading part two
May 18 (Tuesday) from 9:30-11a.m. - MCA Math part one
May 20 (Thursday) from 9:30-11 a.m. - MCA Math part two
For students in in grade 4 ONLY:
May 25 (Tuesday) from 9:30-11 a.m. - AAPPL part one
May 27 (Thursday) from 9:30-11 a.m. - AAPPL part two
For students in the EFL Learning Model that opted to take the MCA tests and AAPPL tests(students in grade 4), here are the dates:
May 12 (Wednesday) from 9:30 a.m.-until completed - MCA Reading
May 19 (Wednesday) from 9:30 a.m.-until completed - MCA Math
May 26 (Wednesday) from 9:30 a.m.-until completed - AAPPL testing
Parents- please make sure that on testing dates, students bring the following items:
- iPad cable and charging brick
- Water bottle
- A book to read once they are done with testing
If you have any questions, please connect with Yesica via email or by phone at 763 600 5802.
Staff Appreciation Week is May 3-7!
WCSI PTO would like to invite you to participate in Special Message Monday and a Woodcrest Spirit Day on Friday. On Monday, May 3, let's let staff know how much we appreciate them with some kind words, drawings, or notes. On Friday, May 7, show pride for our school and staff by wearing our school colors of red/white/blue.
WCSI PTO also hopes to surprise staff with a variety of treats throughout the week. If you would like to donate to the items/activities PTO is planning, please drop off any donations to the school office in an envelope. Checks can be written to WCSIPTO. Paypal can also be used with our email.
We can't wait to celebrate Woodcrest Staff next week!
Woodcrest PTO is proud to sponsor our annual mileage club again this year. The ¼ mile lap at school has been painted on the grass, and classes may use it at any time. If you are joining the fun from home, you may use the track when school is not in session, or find your own “track” in your neighborhood to click on a route to calculate how far you went. Students attending school in person may also complete laps at home or after school.
To limit extra people onsite this year, each student will report their laps completed via the attached lap submission sheet that teachers or at home families can email in by Friday each week to WCSI PTO. Simply write the teacher name, student name, and make a tally for each lap run. Submissions will be accepted until the last day of Mileage Club on Friday, June 4.
Students can earn up to five toe tokens this year in five mile increments. Five miles is awarded with a standard toe token. Ten miles is a glitter or shimmer token. Fifteen miles is a see-through token. Twenty miles is a tye-dye token. Twenty-five miles is a glow in the dark token. New this year, participating students will receive a clip that displays toe tokens on their backpack.
New or Gently Used Book Drive
Woodcrest PTO is collecting new or gently used books for literacy initiatives at Woodcrest.
Depending on the number of donations we receive, this may include giving books to students who do not have access to books at home and/or a summer reading book giveaway event for all students.
Books can be dropped off in the collection bin at Woodcrest during school hours.
If you are part of the EFL Learning Model or have a large donation, send PTO a FB message or email the Woodcrest PTO to arrange porch pick-up from your home.
We will be collecting nominations for next year's 2021-2022 WCSI PTO Board, which will be voted on during our May 10 meeting.
Board positions currently include:
- President: Lead monthly Parent Teacher Meetings, Lead monthly Board Meetings, Lead monthly meeting with staff
- Vice President: Coordinate child care and dine-to-donate nights
- Secretary: Take minutes at meetings as able to attend, create newsletters
- Treasurer: Keep track off all transactions, prepare monthly report for meetings, help with reimbursements/purchases
- Volunteer Coordinator: Maintain Konstella database, create posts for volunteers as needs arise, communicate with committee chairs
- Social Media Coordinator: Create posts on Facebook/Twitter for events/volunteer opportunities
For more information about the board and positions please email the Woodcrest PTO.
FREE Digital Games Available
Free Digital Family Game Night for all via Breakout EDU! New puzzles have been released for the month of April. Complete one to be entered into the monthly prize drawing. Sign up online with code OQXAW6
- May 10- PTO Meeting at 6 p.m.
- MCA Reading Tests for students in grades 3 and 4: May 11 and 13 for In-Person students.
- MCA Reading Tests for students in grades 3 and 4: May 12 for EFL students.
- MCA Math Tests for students in grades 3 and 4: May 18 and 20 for In-Person students.
- MCA Math Tests for students in grades 3 and 4: May 19 for EFL students.
- AAPPL Testing for students in grade 4: May 25 and May 27 for In-Person students.
- AAPPL Testing for students in grade 4: May 26 for EFL students.
- May 21- Due Date for Parent Input Forms. Connect with Yesica if you would like a form.
- May 31- No school for students
- June 10- Last school day for students
Matthew 25 Free Food Distribution
Matthew 25, a nonprofit organization, is holding a free monthly food distribution drive-thru on the second Sunday of every month from noon-2 p.m. at the Coon Rapids United Methodist Church. There are no requirements, and no data will be collected. Everyone is welcome. The next distribution date is Sunday, May 9, 2021. See the flyer for more details.
Register for Summer 2021 Camps and Clinics
Spring Lake Park Schools Community Education partners with our coaching and teaching staff to offer athletic and activity camps and clinics during the summer. A variety of engaging camps and clinics are offered for all ages and skill levels. Learn more about our Camp and Clinic opportunities.
Club Spotlight of the Week:
Youth Volleyball Camp
For students entering grades 3-5 for the 2021-2022 school year. This camp is designed to teach young players the basic skills used in volleyball. We will cover all the primary skills and put the players in playing situations. They will get lots of practice and will have fun as they learn skills and play together. Taught by SLP Varsity Coach Joy Johnston. Sign up for Youth Volleyball Camp.
In case you missed important information from last week's newsletter, check out the topics below and click to learn more.
Translate This Message / Traducir Este Mensaje
To translate this information to another language, please click anywhere on the message to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir la información a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del mensaje para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.