Parks Press for Parents
Rosa Parks/Millbrook ISSDA
September 14-18, 2020
- Begin logging in at 7:50am to ensure students are set and ready to begin the day in their morning meeting at 8:00am. The morning meeting is a very important time when students receive school and class announcements for the day.
- Monitor student attentiveness and ensure they are focused and engaged in the learning.
- Provide students with headsets and a quiet place to work, if possible. Background noise can be distracting.
- Encourage students to stay on platforms as instructed by their teachers, so they are able to ask questions.
- Refrain from interrupting the lesson to ask questions. Synchronous learning time is for students and teachers. While we value your support, parent questions during the lesson are distracting and take away of instruction. Students are being taught, by their teachers, how and when to ask questions. Please make sure they are following the teacher's expectations. Having them do anything different teaches them that class, school, and district expectations and policies are not important.
- Pose parent questions through email, dojo, or phone calls. This is the best method to address parental concerns. Teachers cannot address parent concerns during class.
- Be positive and motivating. Our students are learning several new things at once. It takes time and practice. Allow them the space to try and try again.
- Remember, there will be glitches, calls may drop, screens may freeze. This is where resilience and perseverance comes in. If the call drops, or you randomly get kick out of the meeting, just go back to google classroom to click the class link and join again. By all means, don't get frustrated. Just try again.
Be Expressive - Art, Music, and PE
1st and 2nd Grade 10:25-12:00
3rd-5th Grade 11:35-1:00
BePresent - Attendance Matters
The Lancaster Independent School District attendance policy will be followed for both online and face-to face instruction. Students are expected to attend class meetings online AND complete assigned tasks to demonstrate engagement in learning and mastery of concepts. Student attendance in MANDATORY as absences may result in denial of credit. Attendance will be taken daily in the TEAMS student data management system.
Instructional Updates From the Desk of Superintendent Granger
Dear Lancaster ISD Parent/Guardian: I want to thank everyone in advance for their support, patience, and flexibility during this time, especially as we embark on a new path. Currently, ALL students are participating in online eLearning until October 2, 2020.
Based on the most recent survey selection, only those who elected face-to-face instruction will return to their campus for the first round of face-to-face instruction on October 5, 2020, through October 23, 2020. Those who did not elect face-to-face instruction will continue virtual eLearning. A letter will be sent home the week of September 14, 2020, to all parents indicating your survey selection.
Additionally, a survey will be sent out on October 12, 2020, to allow parents another opportunity to elect virtual eLearning or face-to-face instruction for the second round beginning October 26, 2020, through December 18, 2020.
To Stay Connected and informed, you can visit the district’s website and social media outlets to get the latest updates. If you have any questions about your child’s status, please contact your child’s campus for further assistance.
It is imperative that your information is current and updated. Click here https://lancaster.teams.hosting/registration/#!login to verify and update your information in Parent Portal. Please click here https://sites.google.com/lancasterisd.org/lancasterisdlearningplan/home to review the district’s WEBO online instructional learning plan for your convenience.
As we pursue EXCELLENCE in these unprecedented times, it is my commitment to ensuring that ALL students receive a viable educational experience that’s NEXT LEVEL.
Dr. Elijah Granger Lancaster ISD Superintendent
Lancaster ISD Curbside Meal Service (LISD students only)
Please Note that Curbside Meal Service is only available at your child’s campus.
Distribution is from 10:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
- Free Breakfast and Lunch for LISD students only (Pre-K- 8th grade)
- Until further notice, the district will be operating on a cashless basis. Parents of 9th-12th graders who do not qualify for free lunch need to ensure funds have been added to their My School Bucks account.
- Distributing multiple meals two days a week starting Sept. 14 (Monday and Wednesday)
- Must have identification card that was mailed or present online enrollment information from parent portal.
In order to encourage a college-going culture and emphasis on higher education, students across the district are encouraged to wear college t-shirts on Wednesdays. We look forward to seeing our students on Wednesdays looking like future college students!
Move This World
Every Morning meeting begins with Announcements and the Move this World SEL Lesson. Please ensure your student is logged in on in time to engage in this very important part of the day. We want to ensure they get each day started off on a positive note.
#BeRPM School Spirit Fridays
Every Friday we wear school spirit shirts representing Rosa Parks/Millbrook or WEBO Nation. Make sure to post pics in your Spirit gear.
Move This World
Remember teachers are still working remotely so there may not be anyone readily answering phone calls. The best thing to do when you call is to leave a message. Otherwise, we have no way of knowing you have called. Please help us help you by keeping the lines of communication open and positive.
Information is shared through a number of mediums. Make sure you are connected, check your emails and dojo accounts regularly, and listen to the campus and district callouts.
Be sure to connect with us:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/RPMElementary
- Twitter: @RPM_ISSD
- Instagram: Rpmelementary
- Class dojo: Teachers have sent invites to their classes. Be sure to check email for steps connect to your child's teacher.
- Parks Press for Parents: published weekly
- School website: RPMElementary@lancasterisd.org
- District website: www.Lancasterisd.org
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for morning announcements https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Q6A-xIkX2gQ2Tc7BMYeZg
Add these emails to your contacts, we are here to support you.
Yvonne Thornton, Campus Principal
Carney Slaughter, Assistant Principal
Josephine Catanach, Counselor
Maria Garza, Office Manager
Anita Wilson, PEIMS/Attendance
Victoria Bradford, School Nurse
Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15-October 15, 2020Sept.14 Favorite Team Day (Wear you favorite team jersey or t-shirt.)
Sept. 15 National Online Learning Day (Post pics engaged in your online learning.)
Sept. 17 Citizenship Day
Sept. 19 World Clean Up Day
Sept. 21-25 College Go Get It Week!
Oct. 1 Progress Report 1
Parents click this link for examples and helpful tools to access student materials and learning platforms.
Click here for important information regarding the Student Code of Conduct. Please review carefully the student use of technology (P.11)
Parents click this link for helpful tools to support you and engage WEBOLearning.
Parents click this button to request technical assistance during WEBOLearning. Once you submit a ticket you will receive an email confirmation. Please know that all concerns are addressed in the order they are received.
Yvonne M. Thornton, M.Ed.
Rosa Parks/Millbrook Information Systems & Software Design Academy
#BeRPM: Building Children, Character, And Community Everyday
“A hundred years from now it will not matter, what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove; but the world would be different because I was important in the life of a child.”