October 26, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- SPIRIT DAY - Dress as your favorite book character Friday, November 2nd
- PRE Variety Show submission form deadline Friday, November 2nd
- Wake County Early Voting ends November 3rd
- US Veterans Corps Candy/Card Drive November 5th - 9th
- Election Day -Two-Hour Delay Tuesday, November 6th
- PTA General Meeting Thursday, November 15th 5:30pm
- Penny Road Variety Show Thursday, November 15th 6:00pm
- Reflections Art Contest Deadline November 16th
THIS WEEK AT A GLANCE
- The Positivity Project - Weekly Character Trait
- Students Against Hunger Food Drive
- US Veterans Corps Candy/Card drive
- Spirit Wear - New long-sleeved shirts!
- Penny Road Variety Show LAST CALL!
- Reflections Art Contest
CHARACTER STRENGTH: CREATIVITY
You come up with new and original ways to think about and do things.
Creative people look at the world in original ways. They have an imaginative and independent thought process. Creativity is a process that takes courage because sharing those ideas can put you at risk of being criticized. Individuals who are creative might be described as original, imaginative, artistic or inventive.
STUDENTS AGAINST HUNGER - Nov. 13-16
Penny Road is partnering with Urban Ministries of Wake County for this year’s “Students Against Hunger” food drive. **Penny Road families generously donated 2,182 lbs of dry/canned goods last year, providing 1,837 meals. Let's try to exceed that goal this year!**
Food Drive Contest
• The food drive will occur every day from Tuesday morning (11/13) to Friday morning (11/16).
• Deliver your food goods to the front lobby between the hours of 8:45 am – 9:15 am.
• The top class in each grade that brings in the most items will win “THE GOLDEN CAN” trophy and a classroom reward. They will also have their picture taken for the PRE Website and Yearbook!
• All donations are welcomed, however, only up to 25 items per day will be counted for the contest
Most Needed Items:
*NO GLASS CONTAINERS*
· Whole Wheat Pasta
· Pasta Sauce (low sodium)
· Canned Vegetables (low sodium)
· Canned Fruit (packed in juice)
· Canned Tuna (packed in water)
· Dry & Canned Beans
· Soup (low sodium)
Urban Ministries of Wake County provides struggling families with healthy, nutritious food – exactly what Penny Road encourages with our students. For more information about Urban Ministries of Wake County, visit: www.urbanmin.org.
*Please support Urban Ministries with the healthy food you would eat.*
US Veterans Corps Candy and Card Drive
NEW LONG-SLEEVED SPIRIT WEAR!!
This is a long sleeve charcoal grey t-shirt with red lettering. The back will say "Penny Road Elementary".
This is a long sleeve charcoal grey t-shirt with white lettering. The back of the t-shirt is blank.
LAST CALL for the Penny Road Variety Show!!
This is a non-competitive talent event open to all students and staff. Acts of all kinds are welcome. Including:
· Vocal performances (Must be karaoke style. Performers should not be singing along with an artist).
· Instrumental performances such as piano, guitar, etc.
· Dance routines, gymnastics or sports skills, jump rope routines
· Comedy or magic acts, skits, etc.
Acts should be no longer than 2.5 minutes and will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Acceptance is based on the submission of the application, as well as, the permission slip signed by a parent or guardian. Duplicate acts may not be permitted. Participants will need to provide their own props, instruments (other than a piano) and any musical accompaniment. All performers must attend a dress rehearsal the week of the event (details to follow). Download an application HERE. Please email email@example.com with any questions. DUE BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2nd!
Reflections National PTA Art Competition
PRE is participating in the National PTA Reflections art competition. This year, the theme is “Heroes Around Me.” The Reflections Program encourages creativity and lifelong learning while offering recognition for artistic endeavors. The PTA Reflections Program is designed to enhance quality arts education for students in preschool through grade 12. Students can enter works in the following categories: visual arts, photography, film, literature, music composition, and dance choreography. Rules and requirements will be sent home in Friday folders and can be downloaded with the entry form at the link below. The link below contains a fillable form, which may be easier for those who wish to enter multiple categories or multiple entries in a single category. Students may enter up to 6 works.
Create a work of art reflecting the theme “Heroes Around Me”
Make sure your artwork meets the requirements for format, size, and theme, and fill out the entry form here: http://bit.ly/PRE_reflect
Bring your artwork and entry form to the front office by November 16th. Digital submissions for photography, literature, music, dance, and film can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please include your entry form in your submission)
Artwork should not be signed where it can be viewed by the judges. Please do make sure your child’s name is on the artwork (on the back or bottom), so that we can make sure we return it. Judging will occur the last week of November, and the top 14 works from PRE will go on to the Wake County competition. We will have an awards ceremony and celebration after the holidays for participants. Questions about the program, entries, or process can be sent to Colleen Kiley at email@example.com.