Energy Unit Summative

By: Cassandra Velez

Djibouti

One of Djibouti's main resources is Petroleum. this is used to fuel airplane or cars, as a lubricant, or as fertilizer. Djibouti exports 19.18 bbl/day of refined petroleum products. Most of their food is imported. Chemicals, and petroleum products are also imported. Their import partners are Saudi Arabia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, US, and Pakistan. Their export partners are Somalia, Sudan, and Egypt.


In my opinion, petroleum can cause pollution which is very harmful to our environment. Instead of using this resource that also happens to be non-renewable, they could use a more environmentally friendly such as wind power.

Bosnia and Herzegovina

One of these countries main resources is coal. Coal is used to produce electricity and heat. It can also be used to produce synthetic fuel and steel. They export electricity at 5,877 billion kWh. Imports electricity at 2.887 billion kWh, crude oil at 4,274 bbl/day, refined petroleum products at 23,950 bbl/day, and natural gas at 390 million cu m. Their import partners are Croatia, Germany, Slovenia, Italy, Russia, Austria, and Hungary. Their export partners are Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, Germany, and Austria.


In my opinion, instead of using coal as an energy source, these countries could use alternative resources that will not cause as much harm to the environment and that will also be renewable. As an example, they could use solar energy.

Azerbaijan

One of Azerbaijan's main resources is natural gas. Natural gas can be used to generate electricity, and to produce heat. It can also fuel vehicles. Azerbaijan imports electricity at 110 million kWh, and refined petroleum products at 1,426 bbl/day. Exports electricity at 380 million kWh, crude oil at 821,000 bbl,day, refined petroleum products at 63, 950 bbl/day, and natural gas at 6,755 billion cu m. Their import partners are Turkey, Russia, China, Germany, Ukraine, and Italy. Their export partners are Italy, France, US, Germany, Indonesia, and the Czech Republic.


In my opinion, instead of using natural gas as an energy resource, they could use a more environmentally friendly resource such as wind power or hydroelectric power.



What countries are using alternative energies? What energies are they using?

Iceland, Norway, Costa Rica, Brazil, and Colombia are the top five countries that are using alternative resources. Iceland uses 73% hydropower and 27% geothermal power. This means that both of these countries use 100% environmentally friendly resources that also happen to be renewable. Costa Rica uses 76% hydropower and 18% of other renewable resources. In total, Costa Rica uses 94% alternative resources that are environmentally friendly and renewable. Brazil uses hydropower and other renewable resources to supply 87% of their electricity. Colombia uses 79% hydropower and 1% of other alternative resources. In total, 80% of their electricity is supplied by alternative resources that are environmentally friendly and renewable.

Which countries are the worst and which are the best? Justify your answers.

I believe that Iceland and Norway are the best countries because they use nothing but environmentally friendly and renewable resources. They set an example for other countries such as Djibouti, Bosnia, Herzegovina, and Azerbaijan.

Sources

"Central Intelligence Agency - Azerbaijan." CIA. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/aj.html>.

"Central Intelligence Agency - Bosnia and Herzegovina." CIA. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bk.html>.

"Central Intelligence Agency - Djibouti." CIA. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/dj.html>.

"Central Intelligence Agency - Kazakhstan." CIA. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/kz.html>.

"Central Intelligence Agency." Welcome to the CIA Web Site — Central Intelligence Agency. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2111.html>.

"Countries Using Alternative Resources." TreeHugger. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2013. <http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/green-vs-brown-5-countries-using-plenty-of-renewable-energy-5-who-use-none.html>.

"Uses for Coal." Uses for Coal. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://teeic.anl.gov/er/coal/restech/uses/index.cfm>.

"Uses for Natural Gas." Uses for Natural Gas. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.naturalgas.org/overview/uses_transportation.asp>.

"Uses for Petroleum." EIA - Sorry! Unexpected Error. Uses for Petroleum, n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2013. <http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=41>.