By Connor Broesche
1.Ernest Hemingway used to hunt German U-Boats in his fishing boat with direction-finding equipment, a machine gun and hand grenades.
Ernest Hemingway Biography
2. Ernest Hemingway used to machine gun sharks to stop them from eating his catch and that in 1938 he established a world record by catching seven marlins in one day
3.Ernest Hemingway took a urinal from his favorite bar and moved it into his Key West home, arguing that he had “pissed away” so much of his money into the urinal that he owned it.
4. Ernest Hemingway survived through anthrax, malaria, pneumonia, dysentery, skin cancer, hepatitis, anemia, diabetes, high blood pressure, two plane crashes, a ruptured kidney, a ruptured spleen, a ruptured liver, a crushed vertebra, a fractured skull, mortar shrapnel wounds, three car crashes and bushfire burns
5. As a war correspondent during WWII, Ernest Hemingway took off his non-combatant insignia and posed as a colonel in order to lead a group of French militia into battle against the Nazis
6. On one instance, when his plane burst into flames on the runway and with his door jammed, Hemingway used his head as a battering ram, butted the door twice and got out.
7.Hemingway wrote a 6 word short story because of a bar room bet. It read, “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.
8. He wanted to fight in World War I, but was denied due to his wretched eye sight. However, he convinced the military to make him an ambulance driver. Unfortunately, during the war he was wounded from mortar fire
9.Hemingway was awarded a Bronze Star for his bravery under-fire in WWII.
10. Ernest has begged his wife Mary to not take him to his electroshock therapy treatments, as his memory had become so terrible that he was forgetting his own name. He committed suicide the day after his 36th shock treatment
11. He had a 6-toed cat
12. Hemingway had four wives; two of which he had kids with. He had a total of three sons, seven granddaughters, and five grandsons.
13. He was a failed KGB spy with the code name Argo.
14. Ernest was not the only person in his family to commit suicide. His father, brother, sister, son, and granddaughter all committed suicide. It's known as the "Hemingway Curse."
15. His mother was so obsessed with the idea of having twin girls that she made Ernest's older sister stay behind one year of school so they could be in the same class and she dressed him up as a girl
16. His mother was very stubborn, making him play the cello for most of his childhood. She even made him stay out of school for a year so he could play it. He was neither fond of it or good at it
17. American actor Orson Welles and Ernest Hemingway became great friends after getting into a fist-fight with each other in a theater
18. Hemingway’s wife lost a suitcase at a train station in 1922. In that suitcase was just about every piece of writing Hemmingway had completed up until that point. Having lost it all, he essentially had to start from scratch
19. Ernest Hemingway’s mother disliked his first book, The Sun Also Rises, apparently claiming that he was “prostituting a great talent” and “pandering to sensationalism”
20. Ernest used his favorite shotgun to kill himself.