SOARING EAGLE NEWS
Principal Points from Mrs. Hill
It has been another great week at Cypress Woods starting with celebrating the Lightning winning the Stanley Cup, the Rays starting strong in the postseason and ending our week with beautiful weather as we welcomed October.
Earlier this week, the district sent communication about making a request to change a student's learning option for the 2nd quarter of the school year. The form is available on the district website https://www.pcsb.org/Page/34055. If you have already completed the district form you do not need to complete it again. All requests will be reviewed based on available seats and instructional staff, keeping in mind the health and wellness guidelines set forth in the district’s Reopening Plan. The deadline to fill out the form and request a change is 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 6. If you request a change, you will be contacted by school-based staff regarding your request no later than the week of Oct.19th.
I know that this communication has created many questions. At this time, the information about how this will impact Cypress Woods is unknown until we review the number of requests submitted. If the learning plan you chose for the start of the school year is working there is no need to make a change. During the week of October 12th, I will meet with grade-level teams to address the information we received from the district to determine how we will proceed based on the requests that were submitted. As mentioned above, school-based staff will touch base with all families who complete a form no later than the week of October 19th. All changes that can be made will go into effect on October 27th, the first day of the second quarter of the year.
We thank you for your continued support, patience, and understanding.
Mark Your Calendars
- Monday, October 12th- Regular school day for students and staff
- Monday, October 26th- Pro-Ed day for teachers. No school for students.
DreamBox Virtual Family Night
Pinellas County families are invited to join us for an informational night with DreamBox Learning to learn more about DreamBox and how to support at home.
When: Tuesday, October 20th
Link to join: http://bit.ly/PCS_FamilyNight
Sign up to get your DreamBox questions answered and receive valuable resources to help your child.
Notes From Our Counselor, Mrs. Trudell
Tips to build emotional resilience in kids:
- Talk about your feelings so your children learn to share their worries and fears with people the trust.
- When children experience failure or disappointment, it’s important to praise them for their effort and encourage them to try again.
- Acknowledge your own mistakes to teach your children that mistakes are essential for learning and growth.
Guidance Visits to Classes:
Classroom guidance visits have begun for 5th and 4th grade. Start with Hello week provided great classroom discussions on inclusion and belonging. Kindness is cool! Students shared ways to be kind to a new friend.
Click on the attachment below for information about the District Application Programs for 2021-2022
5th Grade Families...Please click on the attachment below for middle school information for 2021-2022
Notes From Kim Shipley, Family & Community Liaison
Welcome to a new school year at Cypress Woods! Although things look and feel very different at the moment, we are glad you are here and willing to volunteer. Hopefully, you have seen my emails offering opportunities for you to help from home. Whether you take a project home for a teacher, mentor or tutor a student through Zoom, prerecord a book reading for the class to view or participate in our upcoming Great American Teach in, we truly appreciate your willingness to help and offer support during these challenging times.
If you are new to our school district, and have not yet registered to volunteer, please do so online at: www.pcsb.org/volunteerregistration If you missed our Volunteer Orientation on September 15th, I have attached a copy of the PowerPoint presentation for you. Please review this for important information and contact me if you have any questions.
Registered Volunteers must reactivate for the school year:
If you have not already done so, please take a few minutes to log into the volunteer system and answer the reactivation questions. Instructions for logging in and the volunteer system are attached, however if you have a common last name it is possible the district assigned a more unique login, please contact me if you need assistance. I will only be emailing active volunteers going forward, so don’t miss out on opportunities to volunteer, reactivate TODAY!
Wed. 10/7 Chick-fil A Spirit Night – Drive Thru in OLDSMAR:
Please see the attached flyer for our upcoming Cypress Woods Chick-fil-A Drive Thru Spirit Night on Wednesday, October 7th from 5:30- 8:00 PM. Be sure to tell the CFA Associate at the Oldsmar Location that you are part of this event when you place your order in the drive thru and CFA will donate a portion of your purchase back to our school.
Thu. 10/22 Volunteer Café - Curbside:
Our next Volunteer Café Curbside pick-up for teacher’s projects will be Thursday, October 22nd between 10 and 10:30 AM. I will be sending out a link listing the projects available on Friday, October 16th, so please watch for the link and sign up! In the event you want to volunteer, but are unavailable on Thursdays for the scheduled curbside pick-up, please go ahead and sign up for a project through the link, then email me your availability for an alternate pick up day/time. Please keep in mind my schedule is part time, from 10 AM to 2 PM most weekdays this year.
Wed. 11/18 is the 2020 Great American Teach In! Sign up NOW to participate:
Please share your career or hobby with our students and make it a fun filled day for all our students, the deadline to sign up for your virtual presentation is Wednesday, November 4th. Sign up early for the best time slot availability for live presentations, as they are scheduled on a first come, first served basis.
We have students in need of an extra caring adult in their life to listen and offer support, especially through these challenging times. Please follow this link for our upcoming Mentor Workshop dates and sign up: www.pcsb.org/mentor We hope to begin virtual mentor sessions in October. Sessions are once a week during the student’s lunchtime.
Adopt A Class:
This program offers donors the opportunity to enhance each and every Cypress Woods student’s learning experience. With each tax deductible donation, we are able to supplement classroom materials and more. A full adoption is $100, however any amount is appreciated. Please see the list below of teachers and programs that have not yet been fully adopted, then simply return the attached form with your donation:
- Pre-K: Buonello, Hartman, & Dumala
- Kindergarten: Patterson, Vretas, Jovanovic ($50 away), Macgregor ($50 away)
- 1st Grade: Gates ($30 away), Fontaine ($50 away)
- 2nd Grade: Leto, Levy
- 3rd Grade: Kontodiakos ($50 away)
- 4th Grade: Duncan, McDowell, Hardgrove ($80 away), King ($50 away)
- 5th Grade: Reyes
- Gifted: Wilson ($80 away)
- PE: Anderson, Harte
- Guidance: Trudell
- Media Center/Library/Technology: Huggan
- Exceptional Education: Tsetsekas, Cook, Bowers
- Speech: Reisberg, Ubben, Hunter
- OT: Kolanko, Amsler
- PT: Esker
Thank you for being so fabulous!
Family & Community Liaison
Cypress Woods Elementary
4900 Cypress Woods Blvd
Palm Harbor, FL 34685
727-538-7325 ext. 2045
Updates From Our PTA
Thank you to everyone that attended our General Meeting! Please visit cypresswoodspta.com or Facebook to stay up to date with our current programs and events.
- CWE PTA Pumpkin Decorating Contest - 1 entry/student; All entries due by October 22nd and will be announced during our virtual Spooky Story Night. The online gallery will open October 16th. Details will be posted on FB and sent out by your child's teacher. Start brainstorming your ideas.
- YEARBOOK TIME! We will have a CWE yearbook this year and it will be awesome, as always! You can visit https://www.treering.com/ If you did not purchase a 2019-20 yearbook, you will need to create an account. For the month of Oct, Treering is offering 5% off your purchase!
- Poinsettias - Our students will be selling poinsettias this holiday season. They will be offered in 2 sizes and 2 colors (red and white). These are gorgeous! More information will be sent home, as we get closer to November.
- School Store - We have a select number of youth and adult size shirts in stock, as well as CWE Tumblers, Stickers and Gaiters. Please check https://cypresswoods.new.memberhub.store/store for more information. If a size you need is out of stock, email firstname.lastname@example.org. One more order will be placed by Oct 12th.
- Volunteering - If you have not already, please email email@example.com if you would like to volunteer for one of our committees, programs or events.
- **Box Top information is posted on our website**
SIGN UP FOR BUS UPDATES!
Opt in For CWE Text Alerts
Using the list below, sign up under the grade of your youngest student in order to receive text alerts about school events, PTA and volunteering. (The information will be the SAME on all accounts, so you should only sign up under one class…)
To 81010, please text the following:
- PRE K @b49fk3
- KINDERGARTEN @24b47f
- 1ST GRADE @cf6c38
- 2ND GRADE @9f7edc
- 3RD GRADE @cwethi
- 4TH GRADE @2ce39k7
- 5TH GRADE @e26kb9