Pre-K & Kindergarten Roundup
Frequently asked questions:
1. What is the criteria for enrolling in KISD Pre-K?
Students must be four years old by Sept. 1, 2018 and meet one of the following:
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student is eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program... guidelines can be found at https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/income-eligibility-guidelines: or
- is homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child; or
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care)following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code.
2. How old must a child be to enroll in Kindergarten?
Kindergarten students must be five years old by Sept. 1 of that year to enroll.
3. If I do not live in Kerens, can my child attend preK?
Maybe. You must fill out a transfer request. Once all qualified students enroll, in district non eligible students and transfer students will be reviewed to register.
4. If my child does not qualify and is placed on the wait list, when will I know if they are approved to register?
The week school starts, class lists will be made. You will be notified the week of August 9th, 2018 of the status of the classes. The first day of school is August 20, 2018. At the end of the first week, lists will be finalized.
5. If my child attended pre-K in Kerens this year, do I need to pre-register? Yes, you need to make sure we have all documents, fill out pre-registration form, and be prepared to come back at regular registration time.
For PreK and Kindergarten:
Please bring the following with you to register:
- Student Birth Certificate-copy of original from the county NOT hospital (footprints)
- Student Social Security Card
- Student Immunization Records
- Proof of Residency (electric bill, water bill, etc.)
- Withdrawal form from previous school (if moving from another district)
*Proof of income must be provided at time of registration for Pre-K (current payroll check stub, letter from employer stating wages or tax return for self-employment). ***See chart
If you have questions, please call Kerens Elementary School 903-396-7941.