Sullivan/Young News 5/23/2016
High Expectations/High Achievement - NBHCA
May 24 Pueberty Education and Discussion
Math Book Return
May 25-27 -SPACE CAMP
May 30th Memorial Day - NO SCHOOL
MAY 31- Field Day 5th Grade begins at 10 - 11:30
June 1 Incentive event - Movie and snow cone in the Gym
June 2 Early Release / Last day for students * See Below
Field Day May 31st - 10:00 - 11:30
Field day is a fun but physical event. Many events have been created for which students can participate. Students will not be in every event, but have chosen event they want to enter. The school will order field day shirts with the above logo on the front and each teacher has their students names on the back of their colored shirt. These keepsake shirts cost $9 each. Please send the money into your teacher's class as soon as possible.
*Students need to wear tennis shoes, athletic shorts, and class color shirt, socks or bandannas. Students may bring water, Gatorade, towel, hat, and sunscreen.
*Students may bring money for concession.
1. Parents may volunteer to help on field day. Parents, please donate needed materials (see list below). Please parents, sign in the front office before going to the field!
2. Each class will have a different color shirt.
We will order class t-shirts that are your team color. The class may wear a team color (bandanna, tall socks, sweat wrist bands. Etc.)
3. Remind your students to wear athletic shorts and t-shirts and to bring a towel if they are in a water event. Also, remind them to bring money for concessions.
Things we need donated:
1. Large balloons
2. Plastic Eggs
3. Beach Balls
4. “Cheap” Sunglasses
5. Large Styrofoam cups
6. XXL-XL sweatpants
7. XXL-XL shirts
**We need at least 6 tents to provide shade for the students! If own a tent that we can borrow please let me know.
Space Camp Update
Space Camp - News
Things to know....
Be here by 5:30 on Wednesday
Bus leaves at 6:00
- Wear Space Camp t- shirt or Buccaneer Blue polo and uniform bottoms
- Coins / $1 bills for snacks at rest stop vending machines
- Electronics for bus/ chargers. We may have wifi on the bus.
- Bring your own breakfast to eat on the bus.
- Bring a heavy lunch to eat on the bus.
- Screw top drinks only!
- Spending money. Your group might go to the gift shop at least one time!
Thursday (***Be sure to get everything you need from the hotel before you leave! You will not be able to come
back until it is time for bed!***)
- Uniform (Any color polo.)
- Spending money. Your group might go to the gift shop!
- Coins / $1 bills for drink machines and snack machines around Space Camp.
- Uniform (Any color polo.)
- Have everything packed up and ready to go! You will load your luggage onto the bus before heading
to Space Camp for breakfast!
- Coins / $1 bills if you want to play arcade games at Cici’s.
- Screw top drinks for the ride home.
- Snacks (We will not stop for anymore meals before arriving home.)
U.S. Space Camp & Rocket Center News
· A new exhibit will be at space camp for a limited time while we are there. Summer Smart Play will the exhibit and features activities and hands on displays
A replica of the sunshield for the new James Webb Space Telescope (replacing the Hubble) will be on display as well.
A Beautiful Planet will be the feature in the IMAX theater. This is educational as well as entertaining.
We have been working on Topic 16 - Coordinate Grids
This weeks plans:
Monday, May 23 - Quiz on Lessons 16-1 and 16-2 (this is the last quiz for the gradebook)
Tuesday, May 24 - Puberty Meeting and Visit to Middle School
Wednesday, May 25 - Space Camp - there will be things for the students to work on if they will not be going to Space Camp
Thursday, May 26 - Space Camp - there will be things for the students to work on if they will not be going to Space Camp
Friday, May 27 - Space Camp - there will be things for the students to work on if they will not be going to Space Camp
All student should be working 15 minutes each night on Prodigy.
Unit 9 -
We have completed Unit 8 The Structure of Living Things. Unit Test were put into FOCUS. I only have one more formative quiz to give to the students on Tuesday - this will be their final grade in Science - so please check FOCUS
Monday, May 23 - TIMS lab - Unit 9 Lesson 1
Tuesday, May 24 - Unit 9 Lesson 1 Quiz
Wednesday, May 25 - Space Camp - anyone staying behind will have things to work in class
Thursday, May 26 - Space Camp - anyone staying behind will have things to work on in class
Friday, May 27 - Space Camp - anyone staying behind will have things to work on in class
ELA / Writing
We are continuing our Anne Frank Novel Study. Please make sure your child is keeping up with his/her Interactive Reading Notebook and Anne Frank Study Guide.
Monday, May 16- Introduce Unit 5, Week 4 Spelling and Vocabulary Words; Anne Frank, Chapter 8
Tuesday, May 17 - Anne Frank, Chapter 9
Wednesday, May 18- Anne Frank, Chapter 10 - Quiz (Chapter 5 and 6 only)
Thursday, May 19-Anne Frank, Chapter 11
Friday, May 20- Anne Frank, Chapter 12; Unit 5, Week 4 Spelling and Vocabulary Test and Anne Frank Test for Chapters 7 and 8. Please make sure to study
NEW Homework Policy- The students will now be receiving one spelling menu on Monday of every week. A vocabulary activity, of their choice, is also required each night (example: flash cards, definition match-up, writing words in a sentence, crossword, etc.). Both spelling and vocabulary homework assignments will ALL be handed in on FRIDAY.
For a reading activity, I will assign according to the skill we are working on. The students will be given a reading practice page if they have reading homework.
Here is a lineup of what is expected for nightly homework:
Monday: one spelling, vocabulary
Tuesday: one spelling, vocabulary
Wednesday:one spelling, vocabulary
Thursday:one spelling, vocabulary
Friday: turn in all spelling and vocabulary assignments for the week today.
*Reading instruction happens primarily in the classroom through whole group, small group, and peer workstations. The students may have stories to read and reflect upon for homework one night a week. These stories reinforce the skill being taught all week.
**As for testing, the formative and summative testing dates are unpredictable in nature depending upon how well the students understand the material. I will not test the students until I ensure that the students are ready. Please check your child's agenda to see the tentative testing dates.