November 6, 2022
From the Desk of Dr. Butler
Tuesday, November 8, Digital Learning Day
Humboldt Hawks Community,
I am writing today to remind you that Tuesday, Nov. 8, is a Digital Learning Day for our school due to Election Day.
Digital Learning Days are pre-scheduled days when students learn from home using technology, while also meeting with their teachers and classmates virtually. This offers our students and families flexibility on how they access learning.
All students should bring their iPads and chargers home on Monday, Nov. 7.
Your student will receive instructions from their teachers and assignments via their iPad, including the times when students should plan to be online for Google Meets. The rest of their work can take place on their own schedule. Teachers will be available throughout the day. Your student’s attendance will be based on their participation in these online learning activities.
Secondary students (grades 6-12) should follow their regular bell schedule for class meeting times. Elementary students should follow their regular day schedule for learning. Special Education teachers and service providers will provide services as determined by students’ IEP.
If you have any questions, please contact your student’s teachers or myself.
Dr. Valerie Littles-Butler, Principal
Humboldt High School
Here's What's Happening at Humboldt
Congrats to the September and October 9th Gr Students of the Month
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Newsletter
Indian Education at Humboldt
There will also be a Pow Wow next week that our students and families are invited to. Please click on the link below to rsvp or for more information.
Student Support Services
ACT Test Prep
ACT Test Prep registration is now open and closes on November 23. This is a free opportunity for 11th graders from all SPPS schools to prep for the ACT test if they choose to take it in March. There are 2 virtual options (Saturdays and Tuesdays) and 1 in person option (Tuesdays).
Students and families can find the information:
Financial Aid Night, Wednesday November 16
Humboldt's Financial Aid Night is scheduled for Wednesday, November 16th from 4:00pm-6:30pm.
There are currently 33 seniors signed up! Parents and families please encourage your students to attend and ask questions even if they are unsure what they'd like to do. Our staff will be there to help with online form and information and interpreters will be available as well. Please register and join us.
Fall Family Fun Night
The money raised will be used to provide a graduation celebration for our Class of 2023. We are hoping to be able to have a lock-in at Humboldt for our grads to celebrate safely with their classmates. We are looking for volunteers and donations for the event. If you would like to help or donate any items please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Beth_mork@hotmail.com
We appreciate your support and hope that you'll bring your family and friends out on November 17th!
GIVE TO THE MAX
Help Our Hawks Soar. November 17, please consider our school for your Give to the Max donation. Any gift helps.
Thanksgiving Distribution 2022
If you are in need this Thanksgiving, please register here for a ticket to pick up your free bag of Thanksgiving groceries. All grocery bags must be picked up in person on the date and time given on your ticket.
Pickup will be Monday, November 21 and Tuesday, November 22. Tickets and correlating time slots will be available on a first-come/first-serve basis. Upon confirmation, you will receive your ticket via email. Make sure you keep your ticket and QR code accessible; you must have a printed or digital copy of your ticket to pick up your bag. We will not be able to give groceries to anyone without a ticket.
The application is online, here is the link https://www.ugmtc.org/2022/09/thanksgiving-at-the-mission-2022/
Limit 1 Bag per Family.
COVID-19 & Flu Vaccine Resources
Flu Shots Now Available at Weekly Clinics
SPPS has flu shots available for anyone ages 5 and older at our vaccine clinics. Families, staff and community members can make appointments to receive flu shots by using the vaccine clinic registration links below. These registration forms will allow you to make an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccine, flu shot, or both. There is a limited number of flu shots available and families without health insurance or with State insurance will receive preference for appointments.
All Minnesota residents ages 6 months and older are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.The CDC recommends that everyone who can get vaccinated should do so at the first opportunity available to them.
SPPS hosts COVID-19 vaccine clinics on Thursdays from 3-6 p.m. at 360 Colborne St. Anyone ages 5 and older can receive vaccines—our clinics are not yet offering vaccines for kids under 5. Kids ages 5-11 can receive booster shots five months after their second vaccine. Anyone ages 12 and older can now receive the updated (bivalent) booster shot two months after their second vaccine or first booster.
SPPS COVID-19 & Flu Vaccine Clinics:
- 11/7: Saint Paul Music Academy (27 Geranium Ave. E.) from 2-5 p.m. Register here.
- 11/10: SPPS Administration Building (360 Colborne St.) from 3-6 p.m. Register here.
- 11/14: LEAP High School (631 N. Albert St.) from 3-6 p.m. Register here.
- 11/17: SPPS Administration Building (360 Colborne St.) from 3-6 p.m. Register here.
- 11/21: Hazel Park Preparatory Academy (1140 White Bear Ave.) from 4-7 p.m. Register here.
- 11/28: Baker Center at Cherokee Heights (209 W. Page St.) from 2-5 p.m. Register here.
- 12/1: SPPS Administration Building (360 Colborne St.) from 3-6 p.m. Register here.
- 12/5: Rondo Education Complex (560 Concordia Ave.) from 2-6 p.m. Register here.
- 12/10: SPPS Administration Building (360 Colborne St.) from 3-6 p.m. Register here.
- 12/12: EXPO Elementary (540 Warwick St.) from 2-5 p.m. Register here.
Ramsey County Public Health has vaccine clinics at the following locations:
- Consulate of Mexico (797 E. Seventh St., Saint Paul). Register at ramseycounty.us/COVIDvaccine.
COVID-19 Vaccine Available for Children Under 5 Years Old
SPPS is not yet offering vaccines for children under 5 at our weekly vaccine clinics. We will keep families informed if SPPS hosts vaccine clinics for this age group in the future.
There are some important differences between the two vaccine options:
- Pfizer: Children ages 6 months to 4 years old will receive three doses of the Pfizer vaccine. The second dose is given three to eight weeks after the first dose. The third dose is given at least eight weeks after the second dose.
- Moderna: Children ages 6 months to 5 years old will receive two doses of the Moderna vaccine. The second dose is given four to eight weeks after the first dose.
Where to Get Vaccines for Children Under 5:
- Contact your child’s primary health care provider
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) vaccine clinics at Children’s Minnesota
- Mall of America (Bloomington) with Minnesota’s Community Vaccination Program
- There is a section on the Ramsey County COVID-19 Vaccine website with clinics for children 6 months to 5 years old
- Vaccine Locator Map
Middle School Sports
Middle School Sports:
MS Volleyball, Soccer, and Flag Football have a home game this week against Global Arts Plus. Volleyball and Soccer will be played at Humboldt. Flag Football will be played at Baker Playground. Games begin at 4:30.
The fall regular season will end on November 11, 2022.
Flag Football and Soccer will have a tournament on Saturday, November 12, 2022.
Registration is now open for the middle school winter sports season.
Wrestling and Girls Basketball runs November 21, 2022 - January 20, 2023
Boys Basketball runs January 23, 2023 - March 17, 2023
Fee is $5 per sport. All student athletes must have a sports physical on file in order to participate. They are valid for 3 years. Sports physicals can be done at Humboldt's Health Start.
For more information, please contact Barbara Lawrence, Middle School Athletic Director.