South Elementary Family Newsletter
Volume #1, September, 2020
Monthly Message from the Principal
We are off to a good start, especially given the fact that we are starting the school year teaching and learning remotely during this pandemic! Our staff and teachers have worked very hard to prepare for this different year and are trying their best to meet everyone's needs. You, too, are giving your all at home, trying to create schedules that allow your children to learn remotely. I can't believe we already have one week completed. Thank you for working with your teachers and the school to solve problems. We are better when we work together! However, that can't happen if we aren't aware of your concerns or if we aren't able to communicate with each other directly (Facebook is not always accurate and doesn't allow for 2 way communication). With that being said, please contact your child's teacher and then myself if you have an issue that needs to be resolved and please presume good intentions. Everyone is under much stress during this time and we can help each other by remembering to use kindness and respect. I will be sending out monthly newsletters starting with this one and will also be using the One Call and Aspen to send out quick updates in between. I would like to request that you also use the link below to sign up for Remind so that texts can be shared with last minute important information and/or reminders. I look forward to a wonderful school year with all of you and your children. Happy September!
Aloha, Steph Brown
Please click on this link if you would like to be updated through text with information from me.
Technology and Virtual Learning
Chris Green: email@example.com
June Mitchell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arrival & Dismissal
Hybrid learning students start back to school in-person on the following dates for Cohort A. Cohort B students will start that same week but on the Thursday.
Please know that this process will take longer during the months of September/October as the children come back in-person and get used to the new routine. We ask for your understanding during the start of school with arrival and dismissal. Thank you in advance!
-Starts at 8:40AM. No one should be dropped off before that time as there will be no supervision.
-School begins at 9AM.
-Buses at 3:15pm
-Parent Pick-up by library at 3:20-3:25pm
-Walkers by side of building, behind gym/cafeteria door at 3:30pm
9/21 to 10/4-Our Scholastic Book Fair is going online! Check the South Elementary PTO Facebook page regularly for fun activities and contests. Here is the book fair link:
- Final Goodie Bag Drive By Pick up! Saturday, 9/19, from 11am till Noon, at South. All unclaimed bags will be given to the children’s assigned teacher. Adult long sleeve shirts in Small and Medium are still available for $10.
- Our Rock Garden is taking shape but we still need our Crickets help! The Rock Drop bucket is outside the main entrance. Leave your masterpieces there and they’ll be sprayed with a protective clear coat and added to our garden. (If you need a rock to paint, no problem, grab an unfinished one from the garden.)
- Join us for the PTO virtual meeting on Tuesday, 9/22 at 6pm! Zoom information below:
Topic: South PTO Meeting 9/22/20
Time: Sep 22, 2020 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 723 6111 5678
- Please see the Food Services Newsletter attached below for important lunch and breakfast information, as well as menus.
- Children's Author's Read Alouds and Activities
- Virtual Field Trips