January 6th-January 10th
○ January 9th - D2L Help Session 7pm
○ Jan. 14th - Peer Tutoring Center Information Night 7:30 pm
○ January 15th-16th - German National Exams
○ January 20th - Martin Luther King Jr Holiday
○ January 21th - Faculty Meeting at 6 or 7:30 pm
○ January 22nd - First Schoolcast call
○ January 28th - Cultural Cafe - GaVS United Nations International Holocaust Remembrance Day sponsored by Social Studies Dept. hosted by Freda Goodman and Dana Bauries. Guest speaker - Dr. Eugen Schoenfeld
○ Welcome New Teachers! Just in Time [JIT] training commences Monday, January 13th, at 7:30 p.m. All teachers are welcome to attend.
○ Please take a moment to complete the Winter PLS, survey, https://docs.google.com/a/gavirtualschool.org/forms/d/13Z9zBndq7hBN6wEns0Fq_eTFMeM6EPwhsFa8bcG91dc/viewform. The deadline for the survey must be completed by Friday, January 17th. Thank you in advance for your prompt attention.
○ January PD: Volunteer to assist Joyce McKay with “Shmoop and USATestPrep”. / January 23, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. / Edmodo Code: gioh9t – any instructor who has used either and is willing to collaborate with Joyce, please get in touch with her via Edmodo.
○ Since GaVS does not have access to the new GTID system we cannot look up or add student GTID numbers to new student accounts. Parents who create new auditor accounts will not be able to link their parent account to their student’s account unless they already know their student’s GTID number. GaVS should have access within the next 2 weeks.
D2L Content Browser Tool- Mixed Content Issue
○ When accessing content in their course students should use the content link under the Class Materials menu to avoid mixed content and security issues. Using the content link will open course content in a new window.
○ If students use the Content Browser Tool on their course home page they may have mixed content issue and need to disable the browser security. Information regarding browser issues can be found in news item posted at My Home.
Instructional Technology Tools Website
○ Instructional Technology [IT] is making a website for Tools students use in D2L. Please send information regarding any tool you feel students need help with to your Department Coordinator. The Department Coordinator will compile a list and send it onto Kelli Robinson by Monday, Jan.13.
○ Check class rolls for new students
○ Make welcome calls and send welcome emails - User templates found in Teacher Forum
○ Hold welcome chat for each new start date
○ Update communication log
○ View videos in news at My Home on how to update parent contact information in registration
○ Release eyeballs - See Teacher Toolbox for video
○ Check the course description listed in the course catalog for all courses that you currently teach. If changes are needed please send the course name and correct course description to your ASI.
○ Secure a Google Voice number by Friday, January 10. Information was sent in an email on January 8, 2014.