March 11, 2022
Monday, March 14 - Grade Cards Sent Home
Wednesday, March 16 - Boxes of cereal due
Monday, March 21 - BUMS Counselors will be here to talk to our 5th graders - 5th grade parents ask your child about what they learned!!!
Friday, March 25 - 12:30 Dismissal
Week of March 28 - Spring Break - No School
Tuesday, April 5 - Basket donations due
Wednesday, April 6 - PTO needs volunteers to help prepare baskets for the Spring Bash - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 7 - 25 cents for Popsicle Friday Due - 1 per child
Friday, April 8 - Popsicle Friday
Saturday, April 9 11:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m. PTO sponsored Spring Bash and Vendor Show at the Outpost on Brushy Fork Road!
Monday, April 11 - Carnegie Science Center Steam presentations for students
Wednesday, April 13 - Flying Higher Presentation with Live Raptors - 1:30 p.m. - Parents are invited to attend this unique "Easter Party" with their students. Please be here by 1:15 p.m.
Thursday, April 14 - 12:30 Dismissal; Students will participate in Safety Day and receive a special Easter surprise
Friday, April 15 - OSE Day - No school
Monday, April 18 - No Students - Professional Learning Day
Tuesday, April 19 - 4th Quarter Midterm - please check your Schoology account for updated grades
Friday, April 22 - We will have Earth Day activities for students
Cereal Box Domino Challenge
Can we make it go down our hallway and around the front of the building???
We need boxes of cereal donated!! See below!!
Buster Bus Visits
Thank you to Mr. Starkey and Mrs. Ervin for sharing Buster Bus and helping us learn how to continue to be safe on the buses.
Students Learn in Lots of Ways
Second grade has a STEAM project in their classroom window. They are germinating bean seeds.
The schedule for our testing is:
May 11 - Reading
May 12 - Math
May 13 - Writing ********NOTE THE DATE CHANGE**********
May 18 - Science - 5th grade only
As you schedule doctor appointments, days off, etc. please avoid these dates as much as possible. All students will need to take the tests and it is much easier for them to take the test with their classmates.
We Need Donations for Our Spring Bash
Student Helpers for Spring Bash
A paper letter will be coming home next week for students to sign up to assist!
BUHS Senior Scholarship
Please share the following information with any seniors you know:
To participate in the competition, you must meet the following criteria:
- Attended Hodgesville Elementary School for at least 3 years
- Plan to pursue higher education (college or technical school) after completion of high school
- Provide proof of enrollment in a higher education facility prior to receiving the scholarship money
Please submit an essay addressing the following topics:
- How has your education contributed to who you are today?
- Discuss how your interest in your field or major developed and describe your experience in the field – such as volunteer work or internships – and what you gained from this involvement.
- Briefly describe your long and short term goals.
- Why are you the best candidate to receive this scholarship?
Applications are due Friday, April 29 by 3:30 p.m.
This information will also be available on our website and on our Facebook site.
Important Dates for Upshur County Schools
March 14- Grade Cards Go Home
March 19 – History Bowl at B-UHS
March 25 – 12:30 Dismissal-Professional Learning
March 28-April 1- No School-Spring Break
April 13- SAT School Day – Juniors at B-UHS take SAT at school
April 14- 12:30 Dismissal- Professional Learning
April 15- No School – Out of School Environment (OSE)
April 18- No School- Professional Learning and Faculty Senate
April 19- Mid-Term Fourth Quarter
May 10- No School- Election Day
May 17- Fred Eberle Graduation at 6:00pm
May 19- Move Up Day for incoming Kindergarten, 6th and 9th grade students.
May 19- 12:30 Dismissal – Professional Learning
May 20- No School – Professional Learning
May 27- 12:30 Dismissal – Professional Learning
May 27- Last Day for students
May 27- End of 4th Quarter/Second Semester
May 27- B-UHS Graduation – 6:00pm at B-UHS
June 3- Final Grade Card Sent Home
Our Family Handbook - Also available on our website
Our Vision, Core Beliefs, and Goal
Our Core Beliefs / Mission
We at HES are dedicated to providing all students with knowledge and skills to become college and career ready in an environment emphasizing the PAX Good Behavior Game, which includes peace, productivity, health and happiness with the core belief “I better my world, and I better myself.”
It is our desire to:
- Provide a nurturing, consistent environment which emphasizes the development of the individual child’s social, emotional, physical, and academic growth.
- To teach all children so they may achieve their highest academic potential utilizing authentic learning experiences, to build a foundation to become college and career ready, and to be lifelong learners.
- To guide all children in becoming leaders, problem solvers, and listeners.
- To encourage appropriate relationships through parent and community involvement in the school.
Hodgesville Elementary School will have an increase of at least 1.0 GE growth for 40% of our students as based on beginning of the year to end of the year data for 2021 – 2022 end of year assessments for Math and English Language Arts.