CHS School Counselors' Corner
October 27, 2023
College Application Tips and Updates
- Please do not forget that you must request transcripts! Log into Scoir and make sure any school you need a transcript for at this time is under the "Applying" list; this will trigger a transcript request in your counselor's portal...This should have been done ten school days in advance of any deadlines. If you did not do this at that point, please see your counselor right away. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Please consider getting your applications in ahead of time in case of glitches.
- Be sure to proofread your application very carefully before submitting it.
- If you get stuck at any point in the Common App process, please check out the Common Application Applicant Solutions Center. They are ready to help with any questions and respond to requests as they are received, day and night, 24/7.
- When/if you add more schools to your list, please be sure to tell your counselor so we know to go back on to Scoir and send your transcript and letters to your new school(s).
- If you are not applying test-optional, please remember to send your SAT and/or ACT scores in from either www.collegeboard.org or actstudent.org. Unless your school allows you to self-report your test scores, the scores on the application are not enough. Schools must receive the official scores from College Board or ACT. For more information on what test-optional means, please see our 9/22/23 S'More!
- It may take one to two weeks for your scores to be received by your colleges, so please don’t delay.
Expert financial aid assistance...for free!
Navigating the financial aid landscape can be challenging. Thanks to a generous donation, Chelmsford High School families now have access to personalized support and resources to help you navigate the college financial landscape including the financial aid process. The CHS School Counseling Department has teamed with the experts from Campus Bound to help you to take the steps to make college more affordable. Please see the following site, as well as the "Financial Aid Checklist" included below: https://www.campusbound.com/chelmsfordhs/
College Financial Fit Checklist
One of the most stressful components of applying to college involves the financial aid process; many students don't know what they don't know.
The Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators has put together a helpful checklist so that you won't miss a beat. Please see here for more info: https://masfaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Financial-Fit-Checklist-ACS.pdf
The CSS Profile is an online application that students submit to apply for financial aid from colleges and scholarship programs. It’s different from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ®) that students use to apply for financial aid from the federal government. It is NOT required of every institution, but it's important to know if you need to fill it out.
Please visit the following link to see if the schools you are applying to require this Form: https://profile.collegeboard.org/profile/ppi/participatingInstitutions.aspx.
UMass Lowell Transfer Dictionary
Admissions Visits at the College and Career Readiness Center
Did you know that our very own College and Career Readiness Center hosts several Admissions officers each week? Learn about the college, ask questions, and get a sense of what it's like to talk to someone in this role. Please visit Scoir to register, and see below for a list of who will be here over the next two weeks.
Weekly stress relief: floating lanterns
EMERSON HOUSE COUNSELING TEAM:
Mr. Dan McGrath (A-K): email@example.com
Ms. Mariclare O'Neal (Long-term substitute for Ms. Kelley (L-Z)): firstname.lastname@example.org
HAWTHORNE HOUSE COUNSELING TEAM:
Ms. Tammy Leary (A-K): email@example.com
Mrs. Christine Lima (L-Z): firstname.lastname@example.org
WHITTIER HOUSE COUNSELING TEAM:
Mrs. Jennifer Orsini (A-K): email@example.com
Mrs. Jamie Ellis (L-Z): firstname.lastname@example.org
COORDINATOR OF SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING AND COUNSELING SERVICES PRE-K-12:
Ms. Shannon Bischoff: email@example.com