Ms. D's Kindergarten Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Letter Review: We are starting to review our letters and the following are the ones we have covered so far. F, E, D, P, B, R, N, M, H, K, L ,U, V, W, X & Y. Knowing our letters (names AND sounds) is essential as students prepare for grade one!
- Home reading program: Thank you for your ongoing support with this program.
- Numeracy: In kindergarten we are always talking about numbers, especially numbers from 1-10. This week we started taking a in depth look at the number ten. We looked at: how to write the number ten, how it looks in numerals, how it looks in a ten frame, what number comes before as well as what number comes after it.
- Field Trips: Thank you to those that have sent the volunteer forms back! It is greatly appreciated :)
1) Ask your child what the sound and action of the following letters are V, W, X & Y. (These are the letters we reviewed this week.)
2) This week we have started talking about syllables. There are two strategies in particular that we have been practicing to help us to determine how many syllables there are in words.
Ask your child how many syllables are in their name and which strategy they used to figure it out. (hand under chin or clapping)
Ex: EM-IL-Y is 3 syllables. :)