Orioles November Newsletter
As part of the Osseo Area Schools operational plan and strategic direction, the district's communication team is working together with schools to help create improved communications between the district and its families and community members. Our new e-newsletters are more accessible and translatable, and they can be shared more easily in a variety of formats. We hope you enjoy catching up with the latest Osseo Middle School news in this new format.
A Note From The OMS Administration
Happy New Year as we look forward to the next few months of second trimester. As we started the new year, we took some time to review what it means to demonstrate the Oriole Way. This includes:
- Using technology and phones in appropriate ways and not taking photographs or videos of others without their consent
- Not using threatening or vulgar language with students or staff in person or through social media
- Being respectful of school property and not damaging or vandalizing school property
- Not making any comment, gesture, joke or behavior displayed in any manner that draws attention to racial, religious or cultural differences in a demeaning, disrespectful or offensive manner in person or through social media
- Using social media in a responsible way that does not disrupt the school environment and shows respect to peers and adults
Parent Teacher Conferences will be from 3:30-7:00 PM on Thursday, January 25th and Tuesday, January 30th. We encourage you to take this opportunity to connect with your child's teacher to stay connected to grades, attendance and progress in each class. This is a great opportunity to ask questions and set goals to finish the second trimester strong!
Responsible Social Media Use
For kids, digital life and social media is real life. It's where they build friendships, take a stand on issues, and do so much more. Here are some family resources to support healthy media and technology use at school and home.
Yearbook Ordering and Submitting 8th Grade Baby Pictures
Orioles of the Month
Important Calendars and School Information
AVID is in full swing as we move into the new year. In December, we went on our first field trip to North Hennepin Community College. Students were given a tour of campus and provided valuable information about community college as an enrollment option later in high school. This month, we will move into tutorials, a collaborative structure in which students work on questions they have in their core classes. Next month, we will head to Base Camp and will work on leadership and teamwork skills.
Dental Resource For Families
Dental Care: Give Kids a Smile program: Feb 2 & 3, 2024.
Registration is NOW OPEN!
- FREE dental opportunity for children ages 3-18. Appointments required.
- Participating clinics are now posted:
- Click on Link: MDA Dental Clinics
- Parent/guardian calls a participating dental office or 2-1-1 (800-543-7709) for assistance M-F between 8 am- 5 pm to set up an appointment.
- Referral specialists can assist in Hmong, Spanish and Somali in making appointments.
- Flyer information in 5 languages: Links: English Spanish Hmong Russian Somali
Friday, January 12: Asynchronous Learning Day
Monday, January 15: MLK Day, No School
Wednesday, January 17: Grade 6 and Grade 7 Orchestra Concert at 7:00 PM
Thursday, January 25: Conferences from 3:30-7:00 PM
Tuesday, January 30: Conferences from 3:30-7:00 PM
Monday, February 5: No School for Students/ Teacher Workshop Day
Monday, February 19: No School