By: Kevin Lynch
What earthquakes Cause?
How Earthquakes Occur
Earthquakes occur when energy builds up inside the tectonic plates and then the plates slip. The plates move about five inches per year. Earthquakes also occur when two tectonic plates move.
Where Do Earthquakes Occur?
Earthquakes mostly occur in Alaska. Quakes can also occur near California's fault line. All though the most deadliest earthquake was in China and killed about 830,000 people. Earthquakes can also occur in lots of other places like Japan.
How to Control Earthquakes
There are many ways to control earthquakes. For example, people can build stronger buildings, make buildings on firm land, and build buildings out of stronger materiel.
Pros and Cons
- There are ways to control earthquakes.
- Scientists are starting to know when an earthquake will occur.
- Most earthquakes are to small to feel.
- A plate moves about 5 inches a year.
- Earthquakes can cause over a million dollars of damage.
- Earthquakes can cause floods, tsunamis, and volcanoes to erupt.
- Quakes can be deadly.
- Earthquakes can cause people to evacuate from their homes.
Earthquakes Rising Things
Earthquakes can also raise things in its path.
Alaska's has three out of ten of the worlds largest earthquakes.
Damage Of Quakes
This is some of the damage that earthquakes can cause.