NACP Parents In the Know
News From Our Principal Dr. Guerrero
WEEK 7 OCTOBER 2, 2020
Happy Fall Everyone!
Weekly Message from the Principal
Can you believe it is now October? We have so much planned for this month including: holding our first ever Virtual Awards Assembly, holding our first Virtual Spirit Day, another Coffee with the Principal Meeting, and we plan to begin our original academic program/schedule the week of October 12th with all students on Zoom at the same time!!!
Last week we shared that you would have the opportunity to nominate parent to represent you in School Site Council and also in the English Learners Advisory Committee. Please click on the buttons below to cast your nominations.
Thank you to all the parents who have stopped by to pick up additional devices for their children. More than half of the parents that were called and made appointments came by.
In this edition you will meet our NACP Office Coordinator, Ms. McBride. Read on to find out what makes Ms. McBride special.
Thank you for stopping by!
6,072 Meals Served in September!!!
Thank you. Let's aim to serve more meals during the month of October!
Below you will find the October Meal Menu. It is also posted on our website.
More Chromebooks Are In!!
By the time you receive this Newsletter today, most Chromebooks will have been delivered!!! Needless to say, we are all thrilled with this news. I am sure it will make all of our parents and specially our students happy too.
With this said, we are planning to go to our original Distance Learning Plan as early as October 14th. But in order to do this we will need your cooperation and support.
We are planning one distribution date next week on Wednesday, October 7, 2019 and Friday, October 9th from 9:00am to 12:00pm. Parents of students who received older laptops will be able to come in to exchange their laptop for a brand new Chromebook. Also, if you have more than one child and have not picked up additional devices, you'll be able to stop by.
1. In order to receive a new Chromebook, you will need to bring the laptop and charger inside the NACP backpack.
2. All Social Distancing Guidelines will need to be followed- please wear a mask, maintain 6ft. distance between other visitors, only one person per family, etc. Please stay home if you present symptoms of illness.
Beehively Is Here to Help With Technology
Please call Techabee first between 8:00am and 5:00pm M-F. They will be able to answer all your questions about technology support and troubleshooting your child's device or feel free to email them...
ZOOM Breakout Rooms. What are they?!
Have you witnessed something similar? We want you to know that these occurrences are normal and well planned out in advanced by each teacher. What you have observed is what we call, Breakout rooms.
Breakout Rooms Are:
- sessions that are split off from the main Zoom meeting
- sessions that allow the participants to meet in smaller groups
- sessions that are completely isolated in terms of audio and video from the main session
- sessions that can be led by the teacher, an instructional assistant or students with the support of their teachers. You will often see teachers briefly stop by the breakout room to touch base with each group of students.
- short in duration
Breakout rooms can be used for collaboration and discussion of the lesson.
Ask your child if he or she participated in a breakout session (room) today and what they discussed or learned in doing so.
Meet Our Office Coordinator- Ms. McBride
Ms. Patricia McBride
-I speak 3.5 Languages: English, German, Polish and a little bit French
-I went to see the Great Pyramids of Gyza when I was 14 years old
-I love Flamingos :)
Family: My Partner and my 7 years old dog Bear; mom, dad and1 younger brother who all still live in Germany
· Favorite Colors: turquoise and yellow
· Favorite Foods: I could snack on cheese, crackers and fruit all day every day, but my favorite cuisine would probably be anything Asian or Italian
· Favorite Children’s Book: Die Unendliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story by Michael Ende)
· Favorite Flower: Sunflowers and Gerbera Daisies
· Favorite Movies: I am Sam, The Other Sister, and all Christmas movies
· Favorite Music: 80's music, 90's rock, 90's Hip Hop, depending what mood I am in
· Favorite Pastimes: hiking, Yoga, spending time with my family, exploring our beautiful country, traveling in general
· Universities and Degrees: Business Administration/Accounting - graduated in Germany
I started working at NACP in August of 2018 and enjoy being here alongside our great Administrators, Office Staff and Teachers. We all love what we are doing and you can feel it when you are on campus.
Inspirational Video of the Week
The creators of Second Step, the social-emotional program used at NACP, show what social-emotional skills are and the important role they play throughout our lives.
Do you need to stop by? Make an appointment
Please note that if you come to the office without an appointment you might have to wait a while for us to help you. We thank you in advance for your patience and support.
Thanks for helping us keep you safe! We thank you for keeping us safe too!
- Phone Messenger- "Phone Blasts"
- Remind Application (Please sign up with your child's classroom teacher or for the school's through the Parent Center)
- School Website: https://www.newacademycanoga.com
- Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- In person (if needed)
Please make sure we have your most up to date contact information including your address, phone numbers, and email addresses.
N.E.W. Academy Canoga Park
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
By phone or By Appointment Only
Please Call Ahead to Make an Appointment to See an Administrator
All Social Distancing Measures Must Be Followed