Week 5 Discussion
ADHD, Behavioral, & Emotional Disorders
By: Jenna Anderson
Emotional/ Behavioral Disorders
Children with an emotional/ behavioral disorders tend to act out inappropriately in normal situations, and tend to act one, to two grade levels behind their appropriate grade. These students who have these disorders, should have an IEP implemented to ensure student success.
What You Can Do!
1. Give the student/students positive feedback.-
"Henry, I really like the way you handled yourself when you were upset. You did great!"
2. Referral out for counseling and therapy
3. Routine and consistency-
Have visuals in the classroom/desk that let the student visually prepare for any changes.
4. Dr. referral for medication.
5. Open communication with the student, parents, and other staff.
6. Let the children move, rather than concentrate on sitting still.-
Use of bouncy bands for desk, or pedestal chairs for movement.