Say No to Oil Drilling in Alaska!
Cons of Oil Drilling
- Oil drilling can cause a lot of pollution in the area.
- Drilling for oil can also cause methane, nitrogen oxide, and airborne particulate matter to release in the air. This then can cause acid rain and smog.
- When they drill for oil they use explosives deep in Earth which then can scare animals like polar bears and caribou off of their migrating pattern.
- While drilling for the oil some could spill out and cause harm to the animals in the area and future animals to come.
- It can destroy endangered animal species in the area.
What would happen to the people?
- There will be less tourist because more people would be coming here for business opportunities.
- In 1989 a Exxon Valdez tanker spilled 10.9 million gallons of crude oil into the Prince William Sound, if we create an oil rig here this could happen again causing a lot of damage.
- The population would grow causing them to have to bring in more food for the people living there.
- If there was a part broken on the rig Alaska would have to pay to fix the broken part.
- If there was a break or something were to go wrong with the rig causing it to spill there wouldn't be as many people in the area to try and help clean it up like in the Gulf of Mexico.