CGHS TIPSS - February 2016 Edition
CGHS Teachers Involving Parents for Student Success
GA DOE Engaging Parents Calendar/Month of February
This parent engagement calendar includes possible academic activities that can be used as opportunities to strengthen the responsibility that schools, families, and the community share to support student learning. Click here to go to the calendar.
February Family Engagement Video
Learning Begins At Home is a video report from the New York Times about a New York City school that makes home visits. The visits are a bit different from our Neighborhood Walks, but it is a very interesting video worth viewing to see the power of home visits. (Video length: 6:52 min)
February Parent Engagement Article - Telephoning Parents
Short article that gives 6 quick tips to make calling parents a little less stressful and intimidating.
I found Tip #2 to be of interest:
Develop a checklist for your parent phone calls. Create a worksheet that you fill out ahead of time. This will help you to organize your thoughts. Include the following on your worksheet:
- Identify yourself to a parent and find out with whom you are speaking.
- State why you have called - to introduce yourself, to give good news, or to discuss a concern. If you are calling with a problem or concern, state the problem clearly.
- State behaviors, not opinions. "John has not turned in the last three homework assignments" will be a more valuable statement than "John has become lazy about the class."
- State a possible solution to the problem.
(Possible CGHS solutions depending on the situation: teacher/PASS tutoring, counselor referral, parent-teacher conference, parent taking away phone if phone is being used excessively, etc.)
February CGHS Parent Center Spotlight - The CGHS Parent Center
Quick Facts about the Parent Center:
- The CGHS Parent Center and its Parent Instructional Coordinator are directly funded by Title I.
- The goal of the Parent Center is to increase student achievement by engaging and empowering parents to become actively involved in their children’s education.
- The Parent Center offers:
- academic parent workshops/informational meetings
- a parent library with instructional resources
- a computer lab for parent instructional use/training
- a certified teacher (Parent Instructional Coordinator) as an academic resource for parents and teachers
Don't forget to refer your parents to the Parent Center for additional academic support. Teachers are also invited to come by for support in working with our parents. We are located across from the front office, next to the Student Support Center. Come by and visit us today!
February Title I Tip - What is Title I?
- is the largest federal assistance program for schools.
- eligibility is determined by the number of students who qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- has a goal to help every child receive a high quality education.
- resources are directed toward students who need them most.
- helps parents be more involved in their child's education.
February Parent Engagement Workshops/Activities
February 25, 2016 @ 6:30 PM
Parent Workshop: The Writing Academy: Writing for Success on the GCPS Gateway
Parents will learn how to support their child in writing on the GCPS by learning about the test, the social studies and science topics on the test and writing strategies for successful test taking.
February 9, 2016 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Staff Info Meeting: Neighborhood Walk - Y'all Drop By Day
Drop by the Parent Center and get a quick look at what what the CGHS Neighborhood Walk is all about.
February 18, 2016 @ 5:30 PM
Neighborhood Walk in Forest Place Neighborhood
Participants will meet at CGHS @ 5:30 PM. Please contact Cassie Milligan for additional details.
Mark Your Calendar! Upcoming Family Engagement Workshops/Activities
March 9, 2016
Mandatory Staff Info Meeting: Y'all Come Title I Meeting
During Planning Periods
March 17, 2016 @ 5:30 PM
March 22, 2016 @ 6:30 PM
Parent Workshop: The Writing Academy: Writing for Success on GA Milestones Tests
February TIPPS Reader Contest
The first staff member to email Cassie Milligan with the following information will win a $5 Kindness Cafe gift certificate.
1. Name of the song in this clip.
2. Name of artist who sings the song.
CGHS Parent Center
"A child educated only at school is an uneducated child."
George Santayana, Educator/Philosopher