Ms. Jennings's 1st Grade Newsflash
March 18, 2016
- March 22 and 23--Parent Teacher Conference 4:00 to 8:00
- March 24--Early Release
- March 25--No School
- March 28--April 1--Spring Break
- April 8--Field Trip to Kaleidoscope. More info to come home soon.
- May 20--Last Day of School!!!!!
Student Led Parent/Teacher Conferences--Confirmation notes are being sent home tonight. Each child has a time scheduled. Remember, this is student-led and they will be showing off their growth!
BOOK ORDERS: Due March 18, by midnight. If you want to order online, go to www.scholastic.com and shop as a parent. Our class activation code is P6CLX. If you are ordering books for gifts and need them to be kept quiet, please let me know.
End Of The Year--I can't believe we are entering the final quarter of the year! I have truly enjoyed teaching your child and will miss them next year! Their growth socially and academically has been incredible. Thank you for the opportunity to allow me to be a part of your child's life.
Congratulations!!!! Mr. Hickey has been an incredible addition to our classroom. I am very excited that he will be teaching next year at Fire Prairie!
Personal News: On January 2 of this year, I got married! My new name is now Mrs. Shearer, however I still have my email listed as "Sharon Jennings" and will finish out the year with the kiddos as Ms. Jennings. I wanted you to know my news in case you start seeing information come home with a different name. :)
What's Been Going On This Week...
- Reading--We have been studying cause and effect. The students are also working on improving their reading fluency and practicing sight words.
- Phonics/Sight Words This week, we are focusing on the /oo/ sound.
Words that we will be learning to spell are: glue, screwdriver, flute, broom As you practice writing these words, don't focus on memorizing the letters. Focus on stretching each word out, like a piece of bubble gum, and writing the sounds that they hear. Also, have your child call attention to words that they see that have the "or" sounds in them.
- Sight words: Fort Osage uses the Fry Sight Word Lists. You should have received your child's sight words either in the planners or in their black folders. The goal for all first graders is to know all 100 of the first 100 sight words. Many students already know their first 100 and are working on harder lists. Some students are still working on learning their first 100 sight words. Please look over the lists and especially practice the words that are highlighted in blue. I'll be rechecking their progress in a few weeks.
- Math-We will be spending the next few weeks studying 3D and 2D geometry.
- Writer's Workshop--Thank you for letting your child bring in "collections" to help them generate ideas to write about. Our final unit of writing will be writing opinion pieces and reviews!!!!
- Leader in Me--Our Habit for the next few weeks is Habit 6--Synergize, because together is best!
Specials~March 21- March 25
- Monday, March 21--PE/Music
- Tuesday, March 22--Art
- Wednesday, March 23--Music/PE
- Thursday, March 24--Early Release DEAL Day Schedule
- Friday, March 25--No School
Look at us!! We are hard at work!
Clara is carefully choosing her "best in show" from her collection and writing her opinion on it.
Haylee and Jaylee are working very hard at writing their opinion piece