Ross / Ellis Weekly Newsletter
October 23, 2015
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
Diamond Del's Gem Mining Adventure
What Will We Be Learning This Week?
We will be beginning Unit 5 next week: Multi-Digit Multiplication. Students will be learning algorithms to solve 1 by 2 digit, 1 by 3 digit, 1 by 4 digit, and 2 by 2 digit problems. Remember, the methods your child is taught might look very different from the method we learned as students. I am confident that we will find the method that works best for your child.
Students will begin studying about Electricity this week. We are fortunate enough to have many hands-on materials where students can experiment with wires, switches, bulbs, and batteries to create electrical circuits. I look forward to working with students on this exciting unit!
We will continue reading Because of Winn-Dixie as a class. During this unit we will be incorporating many standards such as sequencing, cause and effect, and theme. We will also be completing several fun activities to help reinforce these standards for the students.
We will not be having spelling lists this week due to the short week. They will resume the following week.
Odds & Ends
Students will be allowed to dress for Halloween on Friday, October 30th if they would like. Here are my requirements for costumes:
1. They must come to school dressed in their costume already. Hairspray, makeup, etc should all be taken care of before they enter the school building.
2. Costumes may not have parts that interfere with learning. This means no masks or costumes that restrict movement or vision, cause problems on the bus with sitting or visibility for the driver, prevent sitting at desks, or prevent participation in PE. They must not obstruct movement in the hallways. Students must wear shoes and show not wear a mask.
3. Costumes may not be violent or suggestive. They should not be insulting to a particular ethnicity, religion, or gender.
4. Costumes may not promote violence or have accessories or props that could be used as a weapon.
5. Faculty and staff can use their discretion in modifying costumes or having students change if they feel a particular costume is a distraction to learning or in violation of our Code of Conduct.
Scholastic Book Order
If you would prefer to order online, use the link below and click the "Parents" tab to enter my class code: HBTXM.
Oct. 23 – BLACKBURN BLAST
Oct. 23 - End of 1st Quarter
Oct. 26 – Teacher Workday - NO SCHOOL
Oct. 27 - Beginning of 2nd Quarter
Oct. 28 – Report Cards
Nov. 2 – Nov. 6 – Book Fair
Nov. 6 - Picture Make Ups
Nov. 10 – PDQ Night (5-9pm)
Nov. 11 – Veteran’s Day – NO SCHOOL
Nov. 26-27 Holiday – Happy Thanksgiving