VCR LESSON FIVE PRESENTATION
FILL IN THE BLANK WITH THE BEST ANSWER FROM LESSON FIVE:
DEBASE tr. v.
1560s, from de- "down" + base (adj.) "low," on analogy of abase (or, alternatively, from obsolete verb base "to abuse").
PARTS OF SPEECH
- Debaser (The person who degraded something or someone else)
YOU TRY: PICK THE SENTENCE WITH THE BEST/CORRECT USAGE
- The president of a corporate company debased his secretary by giving her a pay raise and promoting her to office manager.
- Debby, the debaser, felt harassed and belittled after her peers were extremely unkind towards her.
- After the stock market crash and a rapid increase in inflation, the dollar was debased as a monetary unit.
- The debasing speech caused many to feel less confident and stupider.
CORRECT ANSWER: #3
1. A more accurate word that would fit here is "upgraded" which is an antonym of debased.
2. Debaser is suppose to describe the person degrading another, but the sentence describes Debby as the one being degraded.
4. It is being used as an adjective instead of a noun or verb.