What's Happening ?? !!
~ Hawley Newsletter ~ August 22, 2017 ~
From the Desk of Mr. Moretti
Dear Hawley Parents/Guardians,
Here's What's Happening at Hawley.......
- Growing very excited to see everyone's smiling face and getting back to business.
- Friday, August 25: Kindergarten Bus Run, 8:00-9:30 AM. Buses start picking up students at 8:00 AM and follow their routes to school dropping off students by 9:00 AM. Children see classmates and meet their teacher and do fun activities in the classroom. Parents do not ride the bus but drive to school to pick up students in the lobby/gym at 9:30 AM. There are PTA parent volunteers on the buses assisting. PLEASE write your child's teacher's name on their name tag to assist with the arrival process.
- Friday, August 25: Student Walk Through, 9:30-10:30 AM. Parents and students visit classrooms to see friends, classmates, and meet their teacher.
Additional Helpful Information
- The Parent Portal opened Monday, 8/14 showing parents student classroom assignments. We believe the few glitches that occurred have been fixed. Please let our main office know if you are experiencing any difficulties.
- Student Walk Through is scheduled Friday from 9:30-10:30 AM. There are not presentations, just a simple Meet & Greet. You do not need to be there at 9:30 AM or stay the entire time. Feel free to come and go as you please. Be mindful that teachers are scheduled to attend a State Mandated PD session at 10:30 AM so leaving classrooms by/at 10:30 AM is greatly appreciated.
- Our parking lot is, well.....for lack of a better word......tiny. Please park over at Caraluzzis for the Walk Through. Tis' supposed to be a beautiful day ;0)
- Following the new BoE Policy on Students with Special Care Health Needs, we will no longer be celebrating birthdays at school with food. Each grade will come up with exciting and unique ways to celebrate birthdays in school. These will be shared at Open House. Treats and Goody Bags will be left to celebrations at home. To read the policy click here.
Frequently Asked Bus Questions
- What is Hawley's dismissal process? The best way to understand our new procedure is to watch my video link (click here)
- How will I know what bus my child rides? Bus numbers can be found in The Newtown Bee's Back To School Edition, on AllStar's website, and by using links from the District Website (click here).
- How do I pick up my students from Reed and Hawley? Send in a note with each child (to their school) stating that they are being picked up (no change). Reed students will receive a pick-up pass, ride to Hawley on the shuttle, then walk through the main entrance (showing the pass) into the gym. Reed will also FAX a list of all pick-ups to Hawley. Pick up procedure at Hawley has not changed. Park on the playground blacktop and sign out both students from the back gym doors.
- My child goes to a different location than our house everyday, how do we arrange that? You can fill out an Alternate Bus Stop Form and submit it to the bus company (click here).
- Will my child be dropped off at the bus stop if there is no adult there? It is important for parents to arrange for an adult to be at bus stops to meet children. In the event an adult is not there, the student is returned to school, the parent is called, and a staff member waits at school until the child is picked-up. It is good to have a neighbor on file to assist if needed. A student can be dropped off with no adult IF you have filled out and submitted a Bus Drop Off Waiver. This must be done each year (click here).
- Can my child ride another bus for play dates or babysitting? The answer is simply no. There is no extra room on buses for riders not assigned to the bus. If it for day care then you must follow above procedure #4. If an emergency situation arises, permission must be given by the principal and the bus company.
Hawley IS a National PTA School of Excellence!!!!!
Congratulations to Hawley School & our wonderful PTA for this well-deserved honor. Thank you PTA Board, parents & staff !! Proud to be part of such a Strong Home-School Community!
The Hawley School Website
Our website contains a tremendous amount of information and has the answers to most questions. Click HERE to check it out!