Cultivating Authentic Relationships and Connections
Goal for children:
- Positive, caring and respectful relationships are the foundation for optimal learning.
- Children who have strong connections with their caregivers feel safe and develop confidence.
- A sense of belonging is supported when each child's individuality is valued.
- Programs that value centrality of the family develop trust and confidence in the caregivers.
- A child's sense of security is strengthened when the opportunity to make connections arises.
- Children benefit from being in environments where they can form authentic relationships.
- Having connections with the natural world contributes to the child's mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health.
Children demonstrate a sense of belonging when they:
- Have smooth transitions between home and the early years setting.
Educators can create context in which all children can develop a sense of belonging by:
- Responding in a warm and sensitive manner.
- Connecting and valuing the child.
Recognize, explore and make connections:
- With the child's community.
- With the natural environment.
Additional considerations for educators:
- Assist children in finding new ways to achieve their goals.