Micro-Bits of Digital Learning
Bits of Tips for Lifelong Learners
Let's get Started!
Create an Account
- Go to the sign-up page on Twitter and create an account.
- You will need to provide your name, an email address, create a password, and choose a username.
- Confirm your Twitter account via the email address you provided.
NOTE: Usernames can be changed later.
Edit your Profile (get rid of the EGG!)
- When logged into your account, click the Edit Profile button on the right side.
- Update your photo and/or header image.
- Update your name, location, and/or bio (your job, interests, hobbies).
- Click the Save changes button.
- Keep it short! Tweets have to be 280 characters or less.
- Everything is public. Anyone can see your tweets unless you have a private profile or you send someone a direct message. Always remember to THINK BEFORE YOU TWEET!
- How do I keep up with all the tweets? Don't try to read everything, especially if you follow more than 10 people. The Twitter feed can become overwhelming, but just remember you don't have to read it all!
- You can follow anyone on Twitter...and anyone can follow you.
NOTE: Some users are private, and you will need to request to follow them and be able to read their tweets.
- Search for an account and click the Follow button. The account will be added to your following list.
Let's Dig a Little Deeper!
Favoriting a tweet will
- Let the original poster know that you liked their Tweet.
- Save the Tweet for later, similar to bookmarking.
To favorite a Tweet, click the heart next to (or under) the message.
To unfavote a Tweet, click on the heart next to (or under) the message.
Add a Hashtag to "it"!
Categorizing by keyword
- People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search.
- Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword.
Check these out...
Join the conversation on Twitter by mentioning users in your own Tweets.
To post a mention
- Type your Tweet as you normally would, but replace any names you include with that person's @username. For example: "I love @Twitter!"
- Click Tweet to post it.
- The system will recognize and link to the @username in the Tweet.
Start a conversation on Twitter by replying to other user's tweets.
To post a reply
- Find the Tweet you want to @reply to.
- Hover over the Tweet and click on the Reply button.
- A Tweet box will pop up complete your @reply and click Tweet to post it.
What is RT?
- Sometimes people type RT at the beginning of a Tweet to indicate that they are re-posting someone else's content, usually used when additional commentary is added to the original tweet.
What does a Retweet look like?
- Retweets look like normal Tweets with the author's name and username next to it, but are distinguished by the Retweet icon and the name of the user who retweeted the Tweet. If you see a message from a stranger in your timeline, look for retweeted by info in the Tweet — the retweeter should be someone you follow.
To retweet a Tweet, click the retweet symbol (shown at right) next to (or under) the original message.
To remove a retweet, click on Retweeted next to (or under) the message.
A few people to follow!
Who to Follow in Aldine!
Educational Chats you might be interested in...
#tccachat (speaks for itself, right?)
#slowchat (happens all week--you can join anytime!)
- using the #SuperSatChat #AISDTitleOne #allin4Aldine
How to Schedule your Tweets... Should I go on?