What's New in Mrs. Allen's Room?
April 11-15, 2016
We survived the first week back from break!! I would prefer the lovely weather from Spring Break, but as I tell the kids...we get what we get, and we don't throw a fit! At least we got to go outside for recess all week! Fortunately, the coming week promises to have better, more Spring-like weather!
Believe it or not, we have only 32 more school days left this year!! It may seem like a lot, but I promise you those days will zip past in the blink of an eye. And they will be jam-packed with activities--the final round of I-STEP testing, spring book fair, Grandparent's Night, our final field trip (details coming soon!), Living Wax Museum, and our Math Fact Challenge Celebration, just to name a few!
We will be doing some more I-STEP review this week instead of science, but other than that, we'll have a normal school week.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!
This Week in 3rd Grade:
GRAMMAR: Conjunctions (and, or, but...)
SPELLING: Suffixes: -y, -ish, -ment, -hood
WRITING: We will continue our poetry project.
MATH: We will conclude Topic 15: Liquid Volume and Mass. (It's a short topic.) We will have the test on Friday, April 15th.
SCIENCE: We will take a week off science to do some last minute reviewing for the second part of I-STEP.
- For those who registered for the Good News Club, that will begin on Monday after school and will continue through Monday, May 16.
- Spring Book Fair will be April 11-15. Our class will visit the Book Fair on Tuesday @ 10:00 and again on Friday @ 9:00.
- Grandparents' Night is Thursday, April 14th, 4:30-6:00p.m.
- 4th Quarter Book Report info came home last week. Many students have already chosen their books and gotten started! The project that goes with this report is a puppet (not a doll on strings!). Students will also have the opportunity to participate in the Living Wax Museum to be scheduled in May. Students will dress up as the historical person about whom they learned and share what they learned. The wax museum is optional, and those who participate will earn extra credit to be applied to either their reading or science grade. It is not an option if any part of the book report assignment is not done or is late.
- Walk-a-Thon will be April 22, 9:00-noon. There is NO rain date. Third grade is scheduled to walk 10:20-10:50 a.m.
- I-STEP part 2 is scheduled to begin the week of April 18. As soon as I know exactly which days and times we will be testing, I will forward that information to you.